3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2018 12:30 PM by john beardsworth

Search photos by metadata - how?

fastharper

I want to search or apply a filter by metadata, e.g.

Photos with ISO 1000 to 2000

Or Photos with the 24-70 mm f/2.8 VR lens

Or Photos taken at 200 mm focal length

etc etc

Lightroom "Classic" CC let us do this with filters and smart folders.

Before I can consider migrating 600 GB of photographs to Lightroom CC, I need to be able to search & filter via metadata.

Is this feature planned or forgotten?

• 1. Re: Search photos by metadata - how?
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom CC is not as good as real Lightroom at filtering - just keywords, cameras, locations. While it may improve and add some extra fields, it is unlikely that it ever will be a match.

Where it is better is in applying AI to searching for untagged images, if you are online.

• 2. Re: Search photos by metadata - how?
            fastharper Level 1

AI is fine if I want to search for photos of trees

But if I want a histogram of what focal lengths on which lenses I use the most, metadata searching is the only way

Or if I want to apply noise reduction to images between ISO 20000 and 25000 in one shot; and then 25000 to 30000 in one shot... metadata filtering is the only way

• 3. Re: Search photos by metadata - how?
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sure, I understand. One would expect that those fields may eventually be added to LRCC - they are more likely than some other fields - but maybe Adobe think the target market doesn't need them? LR Classic lets you filter on both those fields and many more, so that's where you probably need to be. No point migrating to LRCC until or if it meets your needs....