4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2008 8:55 PM by dojax

Director won't launch

dojax
      I just got a new Dell dual core laptop with good old XP (SP3), 4 GB ram. I installed my old Director 7, and updated it to 7.0.2. Yes, it's very old, but I rarely use it. Can't justify a newer version.

The problem is I can't use it. Before the program even loads it says "Director requires at least 10 MB of free memory to run" and quits. This thing has tons more memory than it needs. But it can't see it or use it or something.

I've tried increasing/decreasing virtual memory. That does nothing. Any other ideas why this goofy thing won't load? It's got to be some kind of memory addressing error. I also have a out of memory error and quit when I tried to run my old copy of Poser 3. Some of my other older software loaded and runs fine. Just these couple (so far) that don't want to play nice.

For some reason, both those programs run just fine on my older, considerably lower spec'd desktop also running XP.

Any good ideas? Getting tech support for these 'old' programs is gonna be almost impossible. Thanks for any ideas.
        • 1. Re: Director won't launch
          Level 7
          Director 9 is the first one that supported XP, I believe (possibly 10).
          Either way, 7 certainly was not supported on XP since it wasn't
          invented yet.

You can try running it in compatibility mode. For instructions, see the
          pos I made to the thread immediately above this one.
          • 2. Re: Director won't launch
            dojax Level 1
            I think I tried that without success, but I will try it again. The strange thing is though that it runs on my older desktop with XP, and never had that problem. I'll see if that one is set to run in some other compatibility mode, but I don't remember having to do that. Thanks for the info.
            • 3. Re: Director won't launch
              Level 7
              dojax wrote:
              > I think I tried that without success, but I will try it again. The
              > strange thing is though that it runs on my older desktop with XP, and
              > never had that problem. I'll see if that one is set to run in some
              > other compatibility mode, but I don't remember having to do that.

Apparently it's because the OS reports RAM in different units
              (GB/MB/whatever) when there's more RAM; D7 isn't aware of this and so thinks
              you don't have enough. Hence your old machine reported, say, 256 units of
              memory and the new reports 4. (Those may not be the actual numbers.)

Andrew

• 4. Re: Director won't launch
                dojax Level 1
                No compatibility modes do anything. Still the same "Need 10 mb ram to run" problem. So it has to be something about the RAM and where the program thinks it is. Looks like this program is gonna be a no-go on this system.