4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2008 7:37 PM by Noelbaland

Can I replace an Object in Flash MX?

Comp. 792-YeIbLU
      I am using Flash MX 2004.

1) How would I "replace" an animated object. For e.g. I imported a .jpg into Flash, then I made it into a symbol graphic and animated it. Now the artwork has changed and I need to replace it. Do I have to animate the new image all over again in Flash or can I somehow just replace the image and keep the animation? I hope this makes sense.

2) Can I export a white font from Illustrator as a .gif file and then use it in Flash on a black background? I understand you can use the type in Flash, but I have a hand drawn font I created in Illustrator. How can I use this as a white font on a black background in Flash?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Can I replace an Object in Flash MX?
          Noelbaland Level 1
          Hello there,

1) Go into editing mode for your graphic symbol. Click on the JPG image you used, then in the Properties panel, click on the Swap button and change the image.

2) Import it into Flash as an Illustrator file(.ai). It'll keep it's transparency and won't compress like a GIF file would.

Hope that helps
          • 2. Re: Can I replace an Object in Flash MX?
            Comp. 792-YeIbLU Level 1
            Wow thanks Noel I will give that a try.. I hope it works in MX 2004 too!
            • 3. Re: Can I replace an Object in Flash MX?
              Comp. 792-YeIbLU Level 1
              Noel, I am doing something wrong. Here's what I did.

1) I exported my type from Illustrator as a .png.
              2) I then imported the .png into the Flash Library.
              3) I then selected the keyframe in the Flash movie and then selected the .jpg on flash stage. I then see in the "Properties" inspector that the "SWAP" option is availavble.
              4) I then look in the SWAP list of images and the .png I imported to the Library is not in the list but the .png is in the Library.

What am I doing wrong? Can I not swap a .jpg for a .png file?

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Can I replace an Object in Flash MX?
                Noelbaland Level 1
                Hello again,

No. You can't swap a JPG for a PNG. They have to be the same type. But what you can do is turn all your Bitmaps(jpg,png,gif,etc) into Graphic symbols and swap those out.

1) Go into editing mode for your graphic symbol and convert your JPG into a graphic symbol (hit F8).

2) Drag your PNG image onto the stage and hit F8 to turn it into graphic symbol. Delete it off the stage.

3) Double click your symbol on the stage and then do the same as above and swap out the graphic symbols instead.

Hope that helps