8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2008 11:38 PM by fitness-guy

How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3

KansasFiddler
      Is it possible to make a favicon.ico file using Fireworks CS3? Can Fireworks save .ico files? If not, and I need to resort to an online favicon creator, is there a format (.bmp, .gif, etc) that is better to begin with?

Thank!
        • 1. How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
          SiamJai Level 2
          quote:

Originally posted by: KansasFiddler
          Is it possible to make a favicon.ico file using Fireworks CS3? Can Fireworks save .ico files? If not, and I need to resort to an online favicon creator, is there a format (.bmp, .gif, etc) that is better to begin with?

Thank!

Only CS4 Beta can do that natively. If you want to create a favicon in CS3, use John Dunning's Export as Favicon command.

SiamJai
          ~~~~
          http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks & Game Art Community
          • 2. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
            KansasFiddler Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. This looks like a useful extension.

I downloaded the .mxp file and placed it in the <install directory>Configuration\Commands directory.

Then I restarted Fireworks, created a 16x16 png and went to File Export. I was expecting to see the 'Export as Favicon' option but didn't. Did I not put the .mxp where it ought to go or am I not understanding how to use it?

Thank you!
            • 3. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
              SiamJai Level 2
              Open the object that you'd like to turn into a favicon, then look for the command in the Commands panel. Click on it to run, and then follow the author's description:

"When you run the command, it will ask you to select the folder where the favicon should be created. After you click the Select button, the document will be exported to the selected folder in favicon format. The file will be called "favicon.ico"; the command will ask whether you want to overwrite any existing favicon in that folder."

Hope that helps.
              • 4. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
                pixlor Level 4
                quote:

Originally posted by: KansasFiddler
                I downloaded the .mxp file and placed it in the <install directory>Configuration\Commands directory.

Then I restarted Fireworks, created a 16x16 png and went to File Export. I was expecting to see the 'Export as Favicon' option but didn't. Did I not put the .mxp where it ought to go or am I not understanding how to use it?

If you're using Vista, then you need to explicity run the Extension Manager as Administrator for the extension to work. In your Start menu, right-click on the Adobe Extension Manager CS3 and select Run as administrator

I had trouble installing the Kuler extension, but Rolinstone solved the problem here:
                http://pixelfumes.blogspot.com/2007/08/adobe-fireworks-cs3-kuler-panel.html
                • 5. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
                  KansasFiddler Level 1
                  Thanks Pixlor. I forgot to specify. I am running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.

After copying the .mxp to the aforementioned directory you (XP users anyway ) will need to go to Commands --> Manage Extensions. Click on the icon above the On/Off column to open a file search box. navigate to the directory the .mxp file is and select it. Choose File --> exit on the dialogue box and then select Commands fromthe toolbar and you will see the new selection named 'Favicon'.

Sweeeet!! Thanks so much y'all!
                  • 6. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
                    thanks for help on online favicon creator. please give me more details

• 7. How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
                      Level 1
                      I have downloaded the plugin, and have tried to use the favicon options from the commands menu. I just get errors every time though.

TypeError: Dom.set:PageName is not a function.

Can anyone help with this? what am I doing wrong?

Thanks
                      • 8. Re: How do I: Create a Favicon.ico with CS3
                        fitness-guy Level 1
                        I got a real quick and easy way for you to create a favicon.

Simply just make your image that you want to make the favicon out of in photoshop cs3 or whatever software you prefer. Once finished, go onto Google and search for 'favicon generator'.

There exists a whole bunch of free services that can convert your jpg image into the favicon and provide you the download link, all for free.

good luck,

Jeremy,
                        fitness models