1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 24, 2018 6:30 AM by dj_paige

Image Viewer

rebeccaw85656856 Level 1

I'm very new to Lightroom Classic CC coming from the old Picasa.  Truthfully, I liked Picasa for simple arrangement and viewing of family photos.  I'm not a professional, nor do I intend to become professional in the future.

How can I view images (my photos) by folder/sub-folder/filename order in Library? 

In hindsight, I should have maintained better naming conventions for individual images during the process of scanning photos.  I did arrange all family photos in Chronological order using a folder naming convention but without an individual image naming convention my photos are not sorting well in the Library view of Lightroom Classic.

In Picasa, if I clicked my highest level folder, My PIctures, the image viewer would fall in line and start the image display at the first folder of the heirarchy and progress down the line as I scroll through.  Also, Picasa provided a simple right-click Expand All/Collapse All viewing capability.  Lightroom hid this function in the use of the Alt Key and clicking the triangle left of the My Pictures (took me many hours of "googling" to find out how to see all of my sub-folders - thank you pointsinfocus.com). 

Maybe this is not a good workflow for a professional but would be very helpful for this mom that enjoys maintaining and viewing the family photo archives.

• 1. Re: Image Viewer
          dj_paige Level 10
          How can I view images (my photos) by folder/sub-folder/filename order in Library?

You can't see them in that order, Lightroom doesn't have that capability to sort by folder/sub-folder/filename. You could select each sub-folder in the Lightroom Folder panel, and then make sure the sorting is set to filename.

In hindsight, I should have maintained better naming conventions for individual images during the process of scanning photos. 

If you are using Lightroom, you would be wise to begin using Lightroom tools for organizing, instead of file naming for organizing. These Lightroom tools are keywords and other metadata. This gives you much more power and flexibility and searchability than anything you can do via file naming/folder naming.