Exit

Video is completely black when exporting from After Effects

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2018 Jan 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm trying to export a video from after effects in these settings:

Video codec should be a MOV codec and Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)

Audio codec should be Linear PCM

But whenever I see my exported video in these settings, I hear the audio but the screen is completely black.  How do I fix this?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Uncompressed RGB 8bit is not the same as ProRes 422. Probably your problem is that none of your OS video players can playback this kind of codec. After Effects and Premiere can read a lot of native video codecs but it is not the same for the media players on your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We need more info for trying to help. What OS are you using? What AE version? If you are using windows, are you using a third party plugin to create ProRes files? Could you upload a example clip of your rendered media to dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 10 and After Effects CC 2018.  I'm not sure if I am using any third party plug ins to create ProRes files.  I've been following this tutorial: http://helpwiki.evergreen.edu/wiki/index.php/Exporting_Video_from_After_Effects, except I'm not finding any video codec options under format options that say apple prores 422 (HQ.)  Instead I've been using None (Uncompressed RGB 8-bit.)  Are those the same thing?

I did also try uploading it to my dropbox account, and the video actually did show up.  So maybe it's my computer and not the software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi juliam56342833,

Sorry for the issue. Import the exported file back into AfterEffects & try preview.

Thanks,

Vidya.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually thinking my computer could be the problem, because I imported the file back to After Effects and it did show up in the preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncompressed RGB 8bit is not the same as ProRes 422. Probably your problem is that none of your OS video players can playback this kind of codec. After Effects and Premiere can read a lot of native video codecs but it is not the same for the media players on your PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. But for me its random clips that are becoming black. Inside Premier I can see the black box scale up and down, so its translating the animated parameters but not showing the footage. I rendered in .AVI and it worked fine. 

~I come here when Apps stop working.~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having this issue as well, but I am making proxies all from one camera. A handful of files export black video w/ audio using Prores 422, no LUT no alterations to footage. I used Media Encorder to make the proxies first, but select files were black. And then I tried making the proxies from Premiere and the same videos are exporting black with audio. I did try a different codec, H264 and that worked fine! But the clients want Prores 422. I'm not working from a sequence, what issue could this be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines