13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2009 7:52 PM by bregent

problems linking PDFs

Mantzi
      I am working on a site that just won't allow PDFs to link.

All of my other links are working (internal, anchor, email etc)....but for some reason PDFs won't link.

I thought it may have been a problem with the PDF file name or the document itself....however, I opened a brand new document in Dreamweaver and the PDFs linked perfectly with the new page.

To give you a bit of background.....the site I'm working on was designed in Fireworks, sliced and then exported to Dreamweaver. To allow for adjustment of rows and columns/ adding background colours etc, I clicked on the "remove tag (img)" in most of the table cells.

Do you know why this might be happening?
        • 1. Re: problems linking PDFs
          Level 7
          more info?

are you trying to make a link in an html page open a pdf file?
          url address to the page please.

or are you trying to make a link in a pdf file open an html page??

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: problems linking PDFs
            Mantzi Level 1
            Hi Alan,

I'm currently in an html page.

Just trying to create links from a line of text to open a PDF file (using _blank in "target").

I've named my html pages forms.html, classes.html etc.

The PDFs are named, for example, 2009_Class_Timetable.pdf and Sherwood_Ridge(1).pdf.

When I opened a new html page in Dreamweaver....just to test the PDFs, they linked up fine.

Do you think the formatting of my site is causing the issue?

Thanks!!!!!!
            • 3. Re: problems linking PDFs
              Level 7

> The PDFs are named, for example, 2009_Class_Timetable.pdf and
              > Sherwood_Ridge(1).pdf

please give the url to the uploaded page, and which link on it is not
              working.

or clarify more on exactly what and where something isn't working-

the (parenthesis) in the filename is probably causing a problem.

and to cover the obvious- you have uploaded the pdf files to the remote
              server?

--
              Alan

• 4. Re: problems linking PDFs
                DNLiz
                I am having a similar problem. I am a complete newbie though, so hang in there! I am in an html page and linking to a pdf file. This website is not yet published. When I preview in browsers, the link works in iExplore (which is my default browser), but it will not pull the pdf files up in Safari or Firefox. Firefox just gives me a blank page with no explanation. Safari says "Acrobat Plug in: The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your web browser and try again."

I don't know if it suppose to do this, but when I right click on the link to the pdf file in the Classic view, and select "Open Linked Page", I get pop up dialog box that says "Dreamweaver can't open .pdf files. Please choose an HTML, XML or other compatible file."

So, can you help me? Thanks!
                • 5. Re: problems linking PDFs
                  kiusau Level 2
                  Check and see how the link to the pdf document is coded in the DW Property Window?

1) If the link is relative and in the same folder it should appear as 2009_Class_Timetable.pdf

2) If the link is relative but in a folder different from the HTML document, then the link should exhibit the following prefix ../ at least once, and it should display the name of the folder in which the document is contained.

3) If the link is absolute then it must exhibit the prefix http:// .

The appearance of any other prefix would suggest strongly that your link is in error.

Roddy
                  • 6. Re: problems linking PDFs
                    Level 7

> This website is not
                    > yet published.

Security settings in your browser/OS will control what can/cannot happen
                    when viewing a local html file. Opening other applications like Adobe Reader
                    is normally not allowed.

Either change the security settings, put a "mark of the web" in the page's
                    code, or better- publish the page to a web server.

--
                    Alan

• 7. Re: problems linking PDFs
                      DNLiz Level 1
                      Alan - Ahhh, Thank you so much! I will try publishing.
                      • 8. Re: problems linking PDFs
                        Level 7
                        > 2) If the link is relative but in a folder different from the HTML
                        > document,
                        > then the link should exhibit the following prefix ../ at least once, and
                        > it
                        > should display the name of the folder in which the document is contained.

If it's document relative, yes. But why did you ignore root relative links
                        which will always work?

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"kiusau" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:gmgben$env$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > Check and see how the link to the pdf document is coded in the DW Property
                        > Window?
                        >
                        > 1) If the link is relative and in the same folder it should appear as
                        > 2009_Class_Timetable.pdf
                        >
                        > 2) If the link is relative but in a folder different from the HTML
                        > document,
                        > then the link should exhibit the following prefix ../ at least once, and
                        > it
                        > should display the name of the folder in which the document is contained.
                        >
                        > 3) If the link is absolute then it must exhibit the prefix http:// .
                        >
                        > The appearance of any other prefix would suggest strongly that your link
                        > is in
                        > error.
                        >
                        > Roddy
                        >

• 9. Re: problems linking PDFs
                          DNLiz Level 1
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          >
                          you ignore root relative links
                          which will always work?

Okay, the problem is still going on. Here is what is NEW: I have published this site. Safari and Firefox won't show the pdf files. Firefox just gives me a blank page with no explanation. Safari says "Acrobat Plug in: The Adobe Acrobat/Reader that is running cannot be used to view PDF files in a web browser. Please exit Adobe Acrobat/Reader and exit your web browser and try again."

I tried Murray's suggestion to make it relative to site root. Nada.

Could it be that my pdf files are just too big?

Website I am having problems with: http://www.springridgereserve.com (My first attempt at DW!)

• 10. Re: problems linking PDFs
                            bregent Most Valuable Participant
                            >Website I am having problems with: http://www.springridgereserve.com (My first attempt at DW!)

Was there a particular pdf that is giving you a problem? All of the pdf's under Property Info work fine for me in FF3 and IE7.
                            • 11. Re: problems linking PDFs
                              My guess is there may be something wrong with your browser plugins.
                              • 12. Re: problems linking PDFs
                                DNLiz Level 1
                                All the pdf's! Wow, that is weird though, I am using FF3 and IE7 and it isn't working. What does that mean?
                                • 13. Re: problems linking PDFs
                                  >All the pdf's! Wow, that is weird though, I am using FF3 and IE7 and it isn't working. What does that mean?

Like I said, it sounds like your browser plugins are not working. I would try reinstalling Acrobat.