2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2018 7:09 AM by dj_paige

Lightroom doesn't include develop settings in some "export as catalog". How to fix?

assistanta22461068 Level 1

I have a huge Lightroom catalog that I am attempting to rearrange and clean up. It is about 15k images over the span of about 10 years. The images are in a bunch of subfolders contained under the same parent folder as the catalog.

I thought it was best to export the images as a separate catalog and rearrange the files in one place, however, I am finding that Lightroom is not including the develop settings that are in the original catalog.

I have gone to the front of the catalog (2004ish) and exported a few to a catalog, but when I open it no develop settings. When I do this at the back of the catalog (2017) the settings come along. How do I maintain this through the entire catalog export?

• 1. Re: Lightroom doesn't include develop settings in some "export as catalog". How to fix?
          WobertC Adobe Community Professional

I am concerned that you are just "digging the hole deeper"  and making your "rearrange and clean up" 100 times harder.

15K of images in a catalog is "Tiny". Lightroom catalogs can handle far more than that. And ONE catalog is always recommended.

You must note that Catalogs are not connected in any way- changes you make in one are not reflected in another. So if you "Export a Catalog" and make changes to the exported catalog, these changes do not happen in the "Original"  catalog. Move folders/files in the exported catalog and you have just created missing folders/files in the 'Original" catalog-completely messing it up!!

My advice would be to NOT export extra catalogs. Do ALL your cleanup in the "Original" catalog.

You will find some great advice at-

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom/catalogs/merging/

And (back to your question)- I cannot answer. Are you sure that history exists for the photos in the "Original" catalog?

• 2. Re: Lightroom doesn't include develop settings in some "export as catalog". How to fix?
            dj_paige Level 10

assistanta22461068  wrote

I have gone to the front of the catalog (2004ish) and exported a few to a catalog, but when I open it no develop settings.

What does this mean? Exactly where are you looking that you don't see develop settings?

I agree with WobertC, this seems like work that could make something worse, and also, perhaps there are easier ways to get there. But if you're absolutely convinced you need to do this (I am not convinced), make sure you have backups of all photos and your catalog file before you start.

1 person found this helpful