3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2008 6:53 AM by kglad

Failing to understand

ooba Level 1
      Hey all, well after literally a day of trying to debug why I could not click on any of the buttons of the media player component, I discovered that the issue was the following which I still cannot understand.

Structure : A Movie Clip that contains the media player component.
      Issue: When I added in a .onRollOut event for the movie clip the ability to click on any of the buttons in the media player occurs.

Reason for putting the event on the MovieClip was to hide the players mc when it is not being used.
      So, if anyone would please tell me
      1. why this is
      2. how to get the event to work without breaking the media player interaction

Note: the entire swf is only 240 wide and the media player is the width of the stage, so I cannot use a mask around it. The reason for using the event on the mc was to detect and hide the player when the user moves off the swf from the mc or just moves off the mc onto another.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Failing to understand
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          1. the movieclip is intercepting mouse events.

2. don't assign mouse handlers to a parent of the player controls. use a loop and hitTest.
          • 2. Re: Failing to understand
            ooba Level 1
            I understand that its intercepting ALL mouse events but I do not see why it would intercept anything but the one im telling it to listen for .onRollOut.

As for #2, would you please ellaborate on that. I am not sure what you are suggesting that I do. When you say use a loop and hitTest I really am not clear what you mean.

And thanks for the post.
            • 3. Re: Failing to understand
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              use an onMouseMove() loop to repeatedly check if the player and the mouse have a positive hitTest. if they do, display your player. if they don't, hide your player.