• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Displacement Effect

Participant ,
Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone, I'm new to after effects so go easy on me!

I'm having difficulty applying a displacement layer to the full logo (see link). So I have a really simple question. Will a displacement map only work at dimensions of the original source video? Currently I have it enlarged to cover the whole logo.

Dropbox - Displacement.mov

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 28, 2018 Jan 28, 2018

You have to understand rendering order. Effects are intra-layer operations that don't respond to layer transforms. Hence in order to structure your stuff you have to pre-compose and use the pre-comps as layers so any operations inside the pre-comp are "baked" to the resulting pixel buffer and can be used by effects. This is a basic AE technique, so I would suggest you really watch at least some tutorials and read the help.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to understand rendering order. Effects are intra-layer operations that don't respond to layer transforms. Hence in order to structure your stuff you have to pre-compose and use the pre-comps as layers so any operations inside the pre-comp are "baked" to the resulting pixel buffer and can be used by effects. This is a basic AE technique, so I would suggest you really watch at least some tutorials and read the help.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, you have answered my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just made the source and the comp the same dimensions and I have achieved what I need to do, for now. I will learn the points you have highlighted when I don't have a ridiculous deadline

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines