• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing font weights and Styles

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this typeface called Bahnshrift. It is new to Windows 10 computers.On my computer, I have all the different styles and weights including regular, bold, italics, and bold italics. Microsoft Word recognizes all these weights and styles but none of my Adobe CC programs recognize any of them but regular. I have gone into my computer's fonts folder to be sure that all of the styles are installed properly. They all are and there is not an option to uninstall and reinstall them. I am also unable to find this typeface online for free download to see if that would solve the issue. I have also tried copying the entire font family into the "fonts" folder of the "Indesign" Program folder. This was a solution that was suggested on the adobe forums. When I copied and pasted the four fonts in the family, only the regular font copied over. When I only chose the bold font file to copy and paste, the pasted file was the regular version of the typeface. This is a crazy mystery that makes no sense to me. I really need to make use of the bold weight and cannot even though I have that weight installed. Do you have any idea if this might be an Adobe issue or a Windows issue? Any ideas how I might fix this?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Hi Luna:

Bahnshrift is a variable font, and InDesign doesn't support variable fonts yet. Illustrator and Photoshop do.

From Microsoft:

Introducing the Bahnschrift font

Our new first OpenType Variable Font Bahnschrift is now included in builds. This new font industry standard enables us to pack an entire typeface family into a single file with infinite variability. No longer are you constrained to simple weights like Light, Regular, and Bold. Now you can have an infinite range of font styles, with sm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Luna:

Bahnshrift is a variable font, and InDesign doesn't support variable fonts yet. Illustrator and Photoshop do.

From Microsoft:

Introducing the Bahnschrift font

Our new first OpenType Variable Font Bahnschrift is now included in builds. This new font industry standard enables us to pack an entire typeface family into a single file with infinite variability. No longer are you constrained to simple weights like Light, Regular, and Bold. Now you can have an infinite range of font styles, with smooth interpolation from Light to Bold and beyond. Better still: because a single, efficient variable font can replace several static fonts, variable fonts save a lot of space

—Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16273 for PC - Windows Experience BlogWindows Experience...

From Adobe:

The Typekit Blog | New variable fonts from Adobe Originals

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same issue when creating PDFs -- the font only shows up in one style (Regular). When can we expect a fix so that Acrobat displays this font (Bahnschrift) properly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Variable fonts have only had a defined specification for about two years. It takes a while for a new technology to find its way to all products (since the developers usually already have a lot on their plate). And Adobe (and other developers) don't usually preannounce products, in case they get delayed. I'm afraid you'll just have to be patient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be advised that these variable fonts are not yet part of the ISO PDF specification and won't be for (quite) a while.

My personal advise is to avoid any of the variable fonts for the time being until support for them in the entire workflow is sorted out!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dov, I see where you're coming from, but from my experience: if I use a variable width font in Illustrator and save as PDF, it opens in Acrobat just fine… it prints just fine on my 5-year-old Xerox phaser printer. I can place that PDF in InDesign fine and it prints from there, too.

We've never waited for ISO standards before using new technology, and it doesn't make sense to wait now.

Variable font technology is new, but it's important that Adobe help it succeed. In my opinion it's a shande that InDesign hasn't added support yet.

(By the way, you're getting the edited version of this. I had written something a bit more, er, strongly worded, but my 14 year old son looked over my shoulder and intervened, explaining that I needed to be more civil in my forum posts. Wow! I guess they're teaching him something of value in school after all.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, another way of saying this is if Microsoft has more advanced font technology than you do, something is very, very wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The technology is installed on Illustrator and Photoshop and I'm sure will be here before too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't get Variable font for photoshop.I get only regular font.Please let me know how to solve this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Hlaing Myo Aung,

you may better ask this in the PhotoShop forum over there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/bd-p/photoshop?page=1&sort=latest_replies&filter=all

( You posted at Adobe InDesign Forum. )

State your version of PhotoShop and the name of the font you have trouble with.

Also state how you did install the variable font on your system and if the font is available and fully functional with other Adobe apps like Illustrator 2020 and InDesign 2020 that do support variable fonts.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW: Variable font Bahnschrift on Windows 10 is now fully supported by InDesign 2020.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You helped me a lot.
After I updated my indesign program into newer all my missing fonts shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please someone put the Bahnschrift font variants onto Adobe Acrobat Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Btw its the end of 2021, and it still doesn't work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines