13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2018 2:37 PM by davescm

How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?

jordans1818718 Level 1

Hi Photoshop community,

I feel really annoyed and stupid.  I cannot fade the edges of an image to save my life!

I have been searching through the forums and use cases yet everything is extremely complicated and ineffective.

This seems like such an easy task.  I want to fade the edges of my images all at the same standard, while keeping the image shape (in this case a square).

can someone provide me a how to to create images like this...

I did this in word (sadly):

2018-01-29 17_17_46-Brochure - Print V1.0 (Last saved by user) - Word.png

My Goal:

Create a square shape with the proper feather edges and then layer mask each image I want to fade in, so that I can produce these type of images (in single serving) rapid fire.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me how to properly feather edges in photoshop?

This has been my Achilles heel.

Thank you very much for the support!

• 1. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

If you are using Photoshop CC, go Filter > fx > Vignette or Post Crop Vignette.  Move the amount slider to the right which will produce a white feather.  The other controls let you control the shape etc.

Note: this works on the layer selected.  If you have several layers, then add a copy merged layer to the top of the stack (Shift, Ctrl, Alt, E).  If you make that layer into a Smart Object (from the right click menu) it will be non-destructive.

• 2. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Here's how you could do what you want, as I understand it.

1. Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to select your square shape. Press the Shift key when selecting your area to ensure the selection stays square in proportion.

2. From the Select drop-down menu choose - Select > Modify > Feather (Shift + F6).

3. Enter the number of pixels for the Feather Radius and click OK.

4. Next - Select > Inverse.

5. In a new layer, you could then fill (Edit > Fill) this area with white.

Hope that addresses what you're after.

• 3. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
              jordans1818718 Level 1

Hi Trevor,

I am using photoshop CC, but I don't seem to have fx... is this a filter you downloaded online?

unnamed.jpg

• 4. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                jordans1818718 Level 1

Hi Dean,

I tried your method and it did not work.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean going from step 4 to 5 can you elaborate?

• 5. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                  jordans1818718 Level 1

So I found a technique that (almost works).  I am able to fade the edges, but when I click "OK" my changes disappear.  I have attached a video to show what is happening.

Here are the instructions I used: Create a Soft Fade Vignette in Adobe Photoshop CC

1. 1. Open a photo in Photoshop.
                  2. 2. Convert the background to a layer by double-clicking on it in the layers palette. When an image is opened in Photoshop it always opens as a locked background layer. When you double click the layer the New Layer dialog box will open and you can either choose to name the layer or leave the name - Layer 0 - as is. If you don't do this you won't be able to complete the rest of this tutorial.

A common practice is to also convert the layer to a Smart Object. This is a non-destructive technique which preserves the original image.

3. 3. With the layer selected in the Layers panel, select the Elliptical Marquee tool.and drag a marquee selection around the area of the photo you want to keep.
                  4. 4. Click the "Add Layer Mask" button at the bottom of the layers palette. The Add Layer Mask icon is the "Box With The Hole" at the bottom of the Layers panel. When you release the mouse, the Layer will sport a chain and a new thumbnail. The new thumbnail is the mask.
                  5. 5. Double-click the layer mask thumbnail in the layers palette.This will open the Properties panel for the mask.
                  6. 6. If it isn't open, twirl down the Global Refinements area. What we are going to do is to fade the edges of the mask to create the vignette effect.
                  7. 7. There are four sliders designed to let you get things just right. Here's what they do:
                  • Smooth: This slider makes the edge transition less sharp.
                  • Feather: Moving this in or out will increase or decrease the fade at the edges of the mask.
                  • Contrast: Moving this slider makes the edge of the selection sharper and more defined.
                  • Shift Edge: Sliding this in or out increases or decreases the diameter of the selection area set in Step2. When finished, click OK to return to the Layers panel.
                    Add a new layer under the photo and fill it with the desired background color.
                  • 6. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                    davescm Adobe Community Professional

jordans1818718  wrote

Hi Trevor,

I am using photoshop CC, but I don't seem to have fx... is this a filter you downloaded online?

Hi

Trevor's description should have read Filter > Camera Raw Filter> fx > Vignette or Post Crop Vignette

Dave

• 7. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?

Of course you could just use a layer style adding a white inner glow from the edge

You can then save that style (click on New Style) and add it to your library for other images

Dave

2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                        Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

davescm  wrote

jordans1818718   wrote

Hi Trevor,

Hi

Trevor's description should have read Filter > Camera Raw Filter> fx > Vignette or Post Crop Vignette

Dave

Thanks Dave.  I was doing my Citizens Advice shift when I answered that, and we obviously don't have Photoshop there.  I should have been able to do it from memory all the same.  I sometimes like tp start with the feather set to zero so that you can see the shape of the vignette.

Then bring up the feather to suit.  It's been my favourite way to add a vignette for as long as we have had Camera RAW as a filter.

I almost routinely add a vignette to my event type shots to centre focus onto the subject.  It helps a lot with the very strong sunlight we get here, and that you can't control when covering this sort of work.

• 9. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?

No worries Trevor - I assumed it was just a typo but not being sure when you would be back I thought I would clarify for Jordan (the OP)

Dave

• 10. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

Apologies for the confusion. Screenshots are always helpful so will try with a few now. Was having a few problems on taht side but hopefully what's below will fill the gaps.

1. Use the Rectangular Marquee Tool to select your square shape. Press the Shift key when selecting your area to ensure the selection stays square in proportion.

2. From the Select drop-down menu choose - Select > Modify > Feather (Shift + F6).

feather1.jpg

3. Enter the number of pixels for the Feather Radius and click OK.

I chose 3 for the above image which is quite small (100x100 pixels).

4. Next - Select > Inverse.

New step
                            5. Create a new later by clicking the Create new layer icon as below or the 4 horizontal lines icon in the top right corner and then choose New Layer..., or Shift+Ctrl+N.

feather2.jpg

New step
                            6. Choose Edit > Fill. (Shift+F5)
                            7. Choose White as Contents.

Result should be something like below:
                            feather3.jpg

Looking at other options, if you wanted a feather from the exact edges of your image, using an Inner glow effect would be the quickest.

Hopefully the above helps your broader understanding of Photoshop possibilities.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                              jordans1818718 Level 1

It worked!  Thank you so much Dave!  A simple and extremely effective solution I can repeat rapid fire!

This has been such a struggle for me.  Thanks again!

• 12. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?
                                jordans1818718 Level 1

Hi Dean,

For your method, is the main difference between yours and the inner glow method the fact that you actually delete the pixels and therefore the fading will work on any background (not just backgrounds that match the color of the inner glow).

I may want to learn how to do your technique too.

Thanks!

• 13. Re: How to Fade Edges of Image... Seriously!?

You're welcome

Dave