Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot point preferences to lrcat file after back up

Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

After a scheduled back up of my LR catalog, the lrcat file appeared to be created in the zipped folder which has never happened before. I extracted it from the folder and pointed my Preferences to it (Default Catalog --> ‘When starting up use this catalog’ drop-down). However, when I try to open LR, system shows the message that reads:

“Lightroom cannot use the catalog named “Lightroom Classic CC catalog” because it is not writable and cannot be opened.”

Also, I tried to point Preferences to the lrcat file in the zipped folder (with no extraction), but outcome was the same.

I’ve been backing up my catalogs since LR v.5, but has never encountered this issue. Is creating a zip lrcat file normal? What do I have to do in order to point preferences and back up my catalog?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Alex.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

The lrcat file appeared to be created in the zipped folder

This is the default function since Version 6 was introduced.

I tried to point Preferences to the lrcat file in the zipped folder

Not a Good move   The working Catalog should not be in the Backup location, or much confusion can, and will happen.

not writable and cannot be opened.

This is either the ZIP file creating the message, or the folder location of your backups does not have full Read AND Write permissions.

The correct way to RESTORE a co

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lrcat file appeared to be created in the zipped folder

This is the default function since Version 6 was introduced.

I tried to point Preferences to the lrcat file in the zipped folder

Not a Good move   The working Catalog should not be in the Backup location, or much confusion can, and will happen.

not writable and cannot be opened.

This is either the ZIP file creating the message, or the folder location of your backups does not have full Read AND Write permissions.

The correct way to RESTORE a corrupt catalog is to Extract it from the ZIP folder and COPY it to the usual working location (in Pictures folder, or wherever you normally have your catalog.)

Please read the good advice from Lightroom Queen at- https://www.lightroomqueen.com/disaster-strikes-corrupted-catalog/#restore

This article was written before the ZIP folder backup was introduced, so include "extract form ZIP" in Step 2.-Find your catalog..

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot for your quick response. You were right - for some reason the folder location in my backups had read-only permission. After I made it read-and-right and unzipped my lrcat file the application launched successfully pointing to the correct file.

Thanks a lot again.

Regards,

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines