1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 10, 2009 4:35 PM by Newsgroup_User

HTTPService methods other than GET and POST

ephemerian
      My Flex UI is communicating with a local HTTP server through a REST-inspired API. I want to be able to use HTTP's put, delete and head methods as part of the API. Currently, whenever I use HTTPService and set the method to something other than get or post, the server only sees a get. The docs for HTTPService say:

quote:

You use the <mx:HTTPService> tag to represent an HTTPService object in an MXML file. When you call the HTTPService object's send() method, it makes an HTTP request to the specified URL, and an HTTP response is returned. Optionally, you can pass parameters to the specified URL. When you do not go through the server-based proxy service, you can use only HTTP GET or POST methods. However, when you set the useProxy property to true and you use the server-based proxy service, you can also use the HTTP HEAD, OPTIONS, TRACE, and DELETE methods.

What is the "server-based proxy service"? It's the server I want to communicate with, and send HTTP put, etc, to ... so this documentation makes no sense to me. If anyone can explain, or tell me where in the online docs to get a clearer understanding of how I can enable my Flex code to send a full range of HTTP verbs to a local server, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
      Ian
        • 1. Re: HTTPService methods other than GET and POST
          Level 7

"ephemerian" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gk8pvd$nnn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > My Flex UI is communicating with a local HTTP server through a
          > REST-inspired
          > API. I want to be able to use HTTP's put, delete and head methods as part
          > of
          > the API. Currently, whenever I use HTTPService and set the method to
          > something
          > other than get or post, the server only sees a get. The docs for
          > HTTPService
          > say:
          >
          >
          quote:

You use the <mx:HTTPService> tag to represent an HTTPService object in
          > an
          > MXML file. When you call the HTTPService object's send() method, it makes
          > an
          > HTTP request to the specified URL, and an HTTP response is returned.
          > Optionally, you can pass parameters to the specified URL. When you do not
          > go
          > through the server-based proxy service, you can use only HTTP GET or POST
          > methods. However, when you set the useProxy property to true and you use
          > the
          > server-based proxy service, you can also use the HTTP HEAD, OPTIONS,
          > TRACE, and
          > DELETE methods.

>
          > What is the "server-based proxy service"? It's the server I want to
          > communicate with, and send HTTP put, etc, to ... so this documentation
          > makes no
          > sense to me. If anyone can explain, or tell me where in the online docs to
          > get
          > a clearer understanding of how I can enable my Flex code to send a full
          > range
          > of HTTP verbs to a local server, I'd very much appreciate it.
          >

I think they're talking about something like LiveCycle Data Services.