I've observed the Metadata browser getting confused a few times over the years. I think you LR Metadata browser may be slightly wedged:
Those three dots initially appear when you open the Metadata browser, but they should immediately be replaced with this:
Try these steps in this order:
- Reboot your computer. That can often fix weirdness in the LR user interface.
- Reset LR's preferences and then reboot: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ . Unfortunately, this too often fixes things when LR goes wonky.
- Click on Custom Filter in the upper-right corner and select Restore Default Presets. This will restore the definition of the built-in presets (without affecting any custom presets you've defined). Even though you're not using a built-in preset apparently, my experience is that this can cure strange behavior.
- Try deleting all the columns except the Keyword column. Click on that three-line menu in the upper-right of the column (see above) and then click Remote This Column.
I appreciate the nicely detailed answer, John. Unfortunately I still have the issue after trying:
- Simple reboot
- Reset Preferences (alt-shift-open Lightroom)
- Restore Default Presets
- Deleting all columns (first, leaving just keyword, then deleting all but a "none" column, and then adding Keyword and deleting "none"
I can get to the pictures using Text filtering, but I also get others that have Maryanne in a different form. Is there something else I can try?
Hi again, John. I started thinking of what could be unique about those who did not show. I came up with the fact that I manually added a People keyword without drawing a box around a face. I thought if the face was incomprehensible, I did not want to mess up Adobe's face AI.
I reviewed Maryanne, and removed the non-face delineated people keywords.
Not exactly sure if that was the cause, but it seemed to work. Thanks for the advice.
I reviewed Maryanne, and removed the non-face delineated people keywords. Not exactly sure if that was the cause, but it seemed to work.
It might be related. Though I just did a simple test, creating a keyword with the Person attribute checked, and the Metadata browser lets me filter on it just fine. So if there's a bug there, it may not be easy to reproduce, and if it can't be reproduced, unfortunately there's not much point in filing a bug report. It may be that simply removing the keyword and creating a new one, regardless of the Person attribute, is what fixed the issue.