9 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2008 10:08 AM by SisAndi

Backwards Compatibility?

SisAndi Level 1
      I'm working in flash MX. I just received a few .fla files from client and I'm getting an "unexpected file format" error when trying to open them. Any ideas? Perhaps they were created in a newer version of flash that my old version can't read? Never had this happen before. Thank you!
        • 1. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          That is the most likely cause, the files were likely created with a newer version of Flash.
          • 2. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
            Level 7
            SisAndi,

> I'm working in flash MX. I just received a few .fla files from client
            > and I'm getting an "unexpected file format" error when trying to open
            > them. Any ideas?

Almost certainly, this happening because the FLAs were saved as Flash MX
            2004, Flash 8, or Flash CS3 files. The more recent the IDE, the harder
            it'll be to have them saved in a format you can use. Flash MX 2004, for
            example, can save its FLAs as Flash MX. Flash 8 can save its FLAs as Flash
            MX 2004. CS3 can save as Flash 8. So you may have to get a network of
            colleagues to keeping saving-as until you get FLAs you can work with.

Bear in mind, however, that some features -- such as Flash 8's
            blendmodes -- aren't backward compatible.

David Stiller
            Adobe Community Expert
            Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
              SisAndi Level 1
              Thank you. Today I downloaded a trial version of Flash 8, and when now trying to open the files (Flash 6 r25) I am getting a different error message - something like "cannot open file as there are screens". I searched this forum for "screens" and several other people have gotten this error, however, they have gotten no responses to their inquiries as to what this means and if there is a fix. Am still communicating with the author of these files I can't open. What can I have them do to make them editable in Flash 8?
              • 4. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                Level 7
                SisAndi,

> Thank you. Today I downloaded a trial version of Flash 8,

Flash 8? Not Flash CS3?

> and when now trying to open the files (Flash 6 r25) I am
                > getting a different error message - something like "cannot
                > open file as there are screens".

Are you saying Flash Player 6.0.25.0 is giving you this error message?
                I ask, because the archived Flash Players resource doesn't seem to have an
                r25 revision. Or is the Flash authoring tool giving you this message?

If you're using the Flash 8 authoring tool, and it's not Flash 8
                Professional, then that might be the issue. The Screens class (the whole
                Screens API) was a feature of the Professional edition of the Flash 8
                authoring tool.

I don't think this would be an issue with Flash CS3 -- this is a hunch,
                mind you -- because Flash CS3 only has one edition (the full name of the app
                is Flash CS3 Professional).

> Am still communicating with the author of these files I can't open.
                > What can I have them do to make them editable in Flash 8?

You would need the Professional edition of Flash 8.

David Stiller
                Adobe Community Expert

• 5. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                  SisAndi Level 1
                  Yes, I downloaded Flash 8, not CS3 but sounds like that is really what I needed to do. As I rarely use Flash, what little I do is still off of Flash MX. I received these .fla files from a designer, unknown version that they were created in (can't seem to get an answer to that question). Since my Flash MX authoring software wouldn't open them, I tried Flash 8 and that's when I got the "screens" error. So tomorrow, I suppose I'll try downloading the trial version of CS3 to see if that will open them.

This is one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" situations. Should have been a simple "replace this image with this one". Is it ever simple?
                  • 6. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                    Level 7
                    SisAndi,

> This is one of those "no good deed goes unpunished" situations.
                    > Should have been a simple "replace this image with this one".
                    > Is it ever simple?

Heh. Well, sometimes ... *sometimes* it really is. :)

I'm curious where you downloaded the Flash 8 trial, though. I don't
                    think 8 is available on Adobe.com -- and hasn't been for a long time. Why
                    not just download the latest (i.e., CS3) from the get-go?

David Stiller
                    Adobe Community Expert

• 7. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                      SisAndi Level 1
                      I know this makes no sense, but since I design in DW 8, I thought it would make sense to try Flash 8. I googled it and found it on a site www.click-now.net. In retrospect, of course, I should have downloaded CS3. It was late in the day... seemed to make sense at the time, and since it was seemingly a Flash MX (maybe Flash MX 2004) file that I was trying to open, I thought, why mess with CS3? DW8 was very much like DW MX (which I upgraded from a few years ago) - it was an easy transition for me to make, so I assumed Flash 8 would be another easy transition from Flash MX with not too much to "re-learn".

There I go thinking again...
                      • 8. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                        Level 7
                        SisAndi,

> There I go thinking again...

haha No worries.

I should say, though, click-now.com definitely raises several red flags.
                        They give you row upon row of "freeware and shareware" titles that include
                        products that have never been freeware or shareware (Flash is a case in
                        point). The wallpaper files of attractive women is another sign that
                        something is awry.

Better to go to the source. I might even run a virus scan, to be
                        honest. Maybe that's just me being paranoid.

David Stiller
                        Adobe Community Expert

• 9. Re: Backwards Compatibility?
                          SisAndi Level 1
                          Thanks for the good advice! Virus scanning and spyware checking as we speak.

I did download Flash CS3 trial from Adobe.com and now the files open just fine. Problem solved!