Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom "Continue" button and quiz results

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to state that I'm a rookie and I use Captivate 2017. I have watched numerous videos from YouTube in order to familiarize myself with the program.

I try to build an interactive learning course ending with a quiz. When I preview the course, everything seems to go fine. Before I start building the quiz, I added just a T/F slide followed by the results slide trying to learn more on this. I removed the fluid boxes in order to customize it to a certain extent. I have no other button apart from the  "Retake Quiz" button. Regarding the "Continue" button, I want to change its function and that's why I inserted a customized one to do the following. If the learner passes the quiz successfully, when it is clicked, the learner will exit the course. But if they fail the quiz, the button will be hidden. In order to achieve that I used a simple advanced action which is:

IF cpQuizInfoPassFail is equal to 1, then EXIT ELSE HIDE "Button"

The original "Continue" button is taken out of drawing board. Before I place the customized button, everything was working properly. I could see the results at the end of the quiz. The moment I placed the customized button, the results slide shows nothing in the preview. And in order to go to the previous state, I need to delete the button and clear the cache.

Any thoughts on this, please?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not commonly realised by new Captivate developers that all of the buttons on the Quiz Results slide are actually special types of objects in their own right.  They are NOT ordinary buttons.  That's why there are no options in the Properties to customise how those buttons work. And you cannot just delete them and replace them with another type of button.  If you do that, you break the quiz functionality.

If you have messed with the Quiz Results slide, try reapplying the Quiz Result Master Slide via the option in the Properties tab (when you select the Quiz Result slide in the Filmstrip view).  Perhaps that will reset everything back to square one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both the Continue button on the score slide and the Submit button on Quiz slides are essential, they should never be deleted because they have most of the functionality on board for both types of slides. The actions which you specify in the Quiz Preferences, for Passing Grade and Failing Grade will be executed after the Continue button as been clicked and when reaching the end of the slide. This means you need to have at least one slide after the score slide. Why try a custom solution when there is a native one?

I also don't understand why you create a responsive project, and then decide to delete the fluid boxes which are well designed on the Quizzing master slides? Have a look at this blog post:

Tips for 'Fluid' Quiz Slides - Captivate blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank both of you for your quick response.

The course is based on fluid boxes. The initial template of the quiz results slide has too many of them and that's why I removed them. It's not going to stay as it is at the end. I will add a couple of them later.

I took away (not deleted) the "Continue" button because I couldn't "program" it to do what I wanted and basically I haven't understood its function. I click it and nothing happens only because there is not another slide following the results. It's pointless to me having it on the slide.

Do I have to change something from Properties tab --> On Enter?

Anyway, I figured out how to do what I was trying. It took me several hours trying and messing around. It's the only way to fully understand something unless you have a tutor over your head. I will definitely come back with more questions in the near future if I cannot manage to find the answers in this forum, on YouTube, Lilybiri 's blog, Paul's videos, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Continue button does exactly what its name implies...it continues the timeline of the Quiz Results slide.  However, what most Captivate developers don't usually know is that you really should have another slide AFTER the Quiz Results slide, because certain information is only sent to the LMS as the timeline passes the threshold from the Quiz Results slide to the next slide.  Having another slide at the end of the project often avoids issues with the LMS not receiving reporting data from the course module. 

Additionally, learners often get to the Quiz Results slide and then just terminate the course window by clicking on the kill button in the browser window.  This can also sometimes mean the LMS does not receive the necessary data for the user session, and then you find your learners are complaining about having done the course module but not receiving credit in the LMS.  To avoid this issue, I usually rename the Continue button to something more meaningful that communicates to learners they might miss out on something good if they DON'T click it. e.g. something like Report Your Score!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Rod for pointing this matter to me. I haven't gone this far regarding e-learning, LMS, etc. I will definitely take it into consideration when I have completed setting up the course and the quiz before publishing them.

As I mentioned, I am a rookie and I will return with more questions if I can't find the answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources