5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 4:37 PM by Newsgroup_User

Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004

RandallH
      Can anyone help me? I'm developing a kiosk that accesses airline websites. It allows users to schedule and print tickets for their travel. My client doesn't want a physical keyboard. I've got a virtual keyboard on the screen. I need to be able to bring it up and hide it when needed. It shows and hides by pressing Ctrl+Shift+f11. How do I write my script to allow a button to do this? What is the handler?

Thanks...RandallH
        • 1. Re: Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004
          fazstp Level 2
          How do you press Ctrl-Shift-f11 if there's no keyboard?

• 2. Re: Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004
            BigDaddy
            Hi

Create a variable to be a set value when the CTRL down, SHIFT down, and F11 down- in whatever order you want.

BigDaddy
            • 3. Re: Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004
              Level 7
              > How do I write my script to allow a button to do this?

What is this virtual keyboard? Presumably an on-screen picture of a
              keyboard with keys you click with the mouse? Is it something _you_ have
              created, or an external application you are trying to interact with from
              Director?
              • 4. Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004
                Applied CD Level 1
                We just got done with a Flash kiosk that required a floating virtual keyboard that was called up whenever a text input field was touched and dismissed on “Enter”. We considered (very briefly) using the Windows Vista virtual keyboard (also available on XP) but decided the keys were too small, didn't look organic to the project, and as you pointed out, you have little or no control over the keyboard. Buddy API’s window functions might give you some control but frankly I think it’s just easier to layout your own keyboard. In Flash we used an MC, in Director an MIAW or maybe an LDM would probably be the best approach.
                • 5. Re: Controlling a virtual keyboard from Director MX 2004
                  Level 7
                  > How do you press Ctrl-Shift-f11 if there's no keyboard?

Reminds me of one of the old haiku error messages:

No keyboard error
                  Hit F1 to continue
                  Zen engineering?

Anyhow, I agree with others that making your own virtual keyboard is
                  infinitely preferable to trying to use the built-in Windows one, and not
                  even all that difficult. (Plus, making your own allows you to control WHICH
                  keys are allowed, for example, not allowing CTRL-ALT-DEL or other such
                  things, which you probably don't want on a kiosk. A simplified keyboard
                  with just letters, numbers, and whatever other characters you choose to
                  allow, and maybe a spacebar, backspace, enter, etc., is just much safer all
                  around, especially in a kiosk situation where you don't want people to be
                  able to break out of the program.