• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

HOW TO...a colored and Black & White photo in one??

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw a photo online from this years school photos, and I really like this technique and wanted to know if someone can help me achieve this. See photo attached:20180129_083706.jpg

Thanks

Tina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

I'm using the same photo, just for example. If your image that you want isn't B&W, convert it so it is by using a B&W layer mask or desaturating. I positioned the B&W over the color layer and added a layer mask to it.

You need to make a selection of your color subject. This will vary depending upon your subject. For mine, I used the blue channel as it offers the most contrast between the dog and the couch. I duplicated the blue layer:

Using Levels, I increased the contrast to make a good selection

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just a matter of making the B&W image and masking it to blend in with the color image. In your example, the color image looks to have a neutral BG. This may have been shot that way, or it was later edited to be neutral. The B&W image was masked to look like it was behind the girl in the color image. The B&W image also looks like the blacks were lightened to give a washed out look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am not so great with Photoshop yet. If you could send me the steps that would be great...I use Lightroom for editing photos and for layers I guess I will have to learn photoshop.

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same photo, just for example. If your image that you want isn't B&W, convert it so it is by using a B&W layer mask or desaturating. I positioned the B&W over the color layer and added a layer mask to it.

You need to make a selection of your color subject. This will vary depending upon your subject. For mine, I used the blue channel as it offers the most contrast between the dog and the couch. I duplicated the blue layer:

Using Levels, I increased the contrast to make a good selection between the dog and the couch.

Clicking on the channel thumbnail while pressing ctrl, made a selection of the channel:

Now using a black brush with the layer mask selected, I paint out the area of the color dog:

Now deselect the selection ctrl-D and use a brush to feather the B&W image into the color image.

To lighten the B&W, make a curves adjustment layer and clip it to the B&W layer by clicking between the adjustment layer and the B&W layer in the layer panel while holding the alt key. Then grab the shadow end point of the curve line and raise it to lighten the blacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much...I will try it out.

Tina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tina,

you can find what you need here in this video:
black& white.mov - Google Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines