1 2 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2018 10:23 AM by almonise

Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

bf15555616 Level 1

Hi, everyone.

I had this issue before, but it was a little different and was happening in Firefox and PS. Somehow I fixed it, but I'm not sure how. Now it's just happening in PS.

I start PS and everything is fine. Then I open a file and drag it to the top to enlarge it, but I still have all the tools and jazz showing. I'm not sure what to call that action. Anyway, then my sceen starts flashing. It's like the brightness is dimming in and out at a rapid rate. And it effects the image and the whole interface. Before when I had this problem it was doing it slowly. I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue. I'm running the most current version of PS CC 2018. The graphic card it uses, Nvidia GTX 1050i is up to date. I don't have any plugins.

I searched Google for an answer but the only flickering I could find was this: Fix Flashing Black Screen in Photoshop CS6 or CC - YouTube and that's not my problem. I really hope someone can help me. This issue is very annoying and I can't work like this.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
          peterp25211980 Level 1

Dear Adobe. It seems like you need a proof. Here it is.

Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube

Please do something about it otherwize we either get a seizure or a heart attack.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
            rafaelz98166688 Level 1

Hey,

Facing the same issues on my laptop, coincidentally I have the same graphic driver as you. I noticed that disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" on Edit>Performance kinda fixes it, but then I am unable to rotate the canvas.

I already tried to do a clean windows install, tried to use Photoshop CC2015, still facing this flickering.

• 3. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
              rafaelz98166688 Level 1

Few other things that I have noticed:

- The flickering only happens inside the canvas / background, it does flicker above the layers, or the tools windows/tabs.
              - Only happens inside photoshop, it does not "bleed" into other applications, even if they're on the screen side by side.

- Just by toggling the "Large Tabs" option on and off on Preferences>Workplace makes the canvas flicker, you do not even need to apply the changes.

- Does not happen while using Autodesk Sketchbook.

• 4. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                rafaelz98166688 Level 1

Figured out, this is an issue with the newest drivers from Nvidia. I installed an old driver (385.28 from 08/13/2017) and so far so good, let's hope it keeps that way.

---- Well, that worked for about half a day, flicker started again.

• 5. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                  jbm007 Adobe Community Professional

Disable check  box for "use graphics processor" in the preferences settings.

Close PS and restart. See if that helps.

• 6. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                    rafaelz98166688 Level 1

I noticed that disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" on Edit>Performance kinda fixes it, but then I am unable to rotate the canvas.

I use the rotate tool a lot, pretty much unable to work without.

• 7. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Well

Its a good indicator that the card in your machine does not meet the minimum requirements for all PS work flows.

And its only going to be bigger problem going forward as more features are added, and more application processing is passed on to the GPU

• 8. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                        rafaelz98166688 Level 1

Sorry, but that does seem to be a very good answer to the problem as I was using the same laptop / photoshop version / driver for a year with no problem. It was only when I updated the video card driver to the latest one that started happening, I did rollback and it does kinda stop for a while but after some time it starts again.

The problem also persists when I install Photoshop CC 2015, and only on Photoshop, everything else does not produce any issues with the video card.

And the video card in mention has been released less than 2 years ago ("Both the GTX 1050 Ti and GTX 1050 launched on the same day, Tuesday October 25, 2016."), does support for it drop that fast?

• 9. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

With out knowing your actual hardware, its at best a guess as to what is

happening.

Obviously there appears to be a issue with the Nvidia driver/video card.

That card is more then sufficient to work with PS.

I have a Quadro card with the latest driver from Nvidia and have no

issues. Obviously that doesn't help you.

A lot of people have Nvidia cards out there, and the problem doesn't

appear to be wide spread, so it could be anything.

What boxes do you have selected under advanced settings?

Could you card be getting flaky? Overheating?

• 10. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                            bf15555616 Level 1

I have a Nvidia GTX 1050ti 4GB and the most current version 391.01. I'm using a Sager NP6852. I understood that card more than met the minimum requirements. But lately, it isn't doing it all the time (the flickering). I got this laptop about a year ago. I'd hate to think it was faulty hardware.

• 11. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                              macmac112 Level 1

I have the EXACT same issue with a Surface Book 2 and GTX1060 card. Disabling hardware acceleration fixes this but it makes photoshop slow so it is not a proper solution. Please fix this

Photoshop CC 2018 brightness flicker - YouTube

• 12. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                ThiagoShiniti Level 1

I have this issue too... and it's pretty annoying.

I use a GTX 1050ti.

• 13. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                  janos Level 1

Adobe CC 2018 Flickering when I use brushes. Any idea?

Hardware:

i7 - 7500U
                                  16GB RAm

Intel Graphics 620
                                  Nvidia Gforce 940MX

• 14. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

PS does not like or support dual GPU s

There are plenty of threads here about people having problems with dual GPU configurations.

• 15. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                      janos Level 1

1 or 2 weeks ago worked well. Also so most of gaming laptop 2 cards included. My configuration is common configuration! This is not an free software, so please do not say "do not support". Start to support! Thank you!

• 16. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Let me explain 2 things to you.

I am not a Adobe employee, I am asked to support their apps on the forums, so you are preaching to the choir.

Now to your follow up comment.

Yes your configuration is a common configuration, but for a gamer laptop.

Adobe clearly notes what cards and configurations they support. Dual configuration is not one of them

You have to make a decision  which GPU on your laptop you wish to make a "primary" GPU

There are work-arounds posted here to allow one to assign which GPU you want to use.

It depends on what laptop and OS you have.

There are others here that can walk you through it.

Thats your only option. You decide.

Or you can get a new laptop that does not have a dual GPU configurations.

Up to you.

I have done all I can do to help you.

• 17. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                          ThiagoShiniti Level 1

if you are asked to support the apps on the forum there isn't a way for you to inform them about this issue?

And well, my laptop have two GPU and even when I select to use only the Nvidia it have the brightness flickering problem, and if you change it to the Intel it works fine, but without the video card memory... and well it's not the best thing to work with.

And don't tell me it's a dual configuration issue, cause my old laptop run it without any problem but with a amd video card.

jbm007  escreveu

It depends on what laptop and OS you have.

There are others here that can walk you through it.

Thats your only option. You decide.

Up to you.

I have done all I can do to help you.

Up to you.

No one could solve this issue since there's no one posting a solution that worked,
                                          so there are no others here to walk anyone throught it.

I don't think that saying to the community that you need to have money to afford buying a new laptop everytime that Adobe decides to update their apps it's the best thing to say.

Sorry if I am had a misinterpretation but you sounded very arrogant with this comment.

• 18. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Because it has to do with setting OS configurations on a persons system.

I am loath to offer recommendations to create those work around.

If it was my system OK, but not someone else

• 19. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                              davescm Adobe Community Professional

Hi

JBM007 is correct on the issue with multiple GPUs which can have conflicting drivers. See Adobe's comments in section 7 & 8 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

On the wider issues in this thread - many of the common GPU cards from both NVidia and AMD have their drivers updated regularly to keep up with the gaming world. Unfortunately those updates sometimes introduce bugs for use in graphics applications such as Photoshop. The "pro" Graphics cards ,such as NVidia's Quadro's have different drivers, updated less frequently, and appear less prone (although not completely immune) to these issues. In the meantime, until the drivers are updated with a resolution , there is little choice other than to step back to a previous driver , or turn down/off GPU use in Photoshop.

What is key is that when an issue does occur with GPU the user reports it to AMD/NVidia as well as Adobe.  Adobe bug reports can be raised here  Photoshop Family Customer Community  where they will be seen by the development teams.

Dave

• 20. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                janos Level 1

Call bad business philosophy... Nvidia is one of biggest graphic card maker. - I do not understand why not supporting? Because the Apple using AMD? - Nothing different if I say all red car cannot use the gas station… Because red...

• 21. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                  janos Level 1

The point one week ago worked well my Photoshop... I did not update my graphic card's driver. So if I want to work w 3D I have to buy a new machine? That's the solution or burn my eyes with flickering-flashing Photoshop interface?

• 22. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                    bf15555616 Level 1

Thank you everyone for your input. I'm glad it's not just me.

I have set my Nvidia as the primary GPU and have also made sure that PS uses it. I guess this is just a bug that Adobe REALLY needs to fix. Like someone said above me, I'm not going to shell out a thousand+ dollars for a new laptop every time Photoshop has an update.

I also agree that your reply, came off as a little arrogant and rude. It isn't really necessary. We're all just here to get help with a common issue.

• 23. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                      janos Level 1

When u cannot work you gonna be rude to! Be honest 6-7 years using - paying Adobe products and all the time have performance issue. I just expecting stress less workflow.

• 24. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

janos  wrote

I did not update my graphic card's driver.

Are you sure? Windows updates can , and do, drop down updates to drivers.

janos  wrote

So if I want to work w 3D I have to buy a new machine?

No - you need to configure your machine for Photoshop to use one GPU, as per the link I posted earlier

janos  wrote

That's the solution or burn my eyes with flickering-flashing Photoshop interface?

If the current NVidia driver is causing flickering for you, report it to NVidia here: NVIDIA Driver Feedback|NVIDIA  and in the meantime roll back your driver.

Dave

• 25. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Problem is it’s not Nvidia

All laptop manufactures use Nvidia s base line driver and then tweak it to work on their laptops with enhanced performance

After the first year they stop all development and usually don’t provide updates

Hence the issues start to occur

J

Sent from my iPhone

• 26. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

But PS rolled a update which may have broken dome thing with your current driver

Nvidia just rolled out a new driver end of last month as well

Sent from my iPhone

• 27. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                              bf15555616 Level 1

I just updated my Nvidia 1050 Ti like last week with the most current update. In the Nvidia control panel I have the preferred GPU set to the Nvidia card under global settings. In the program settings PS is set to use the Nvidia card. But still, the problem persists, albeit not as strongly.

Is this all I can do?

• 28. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This subject has been up many times before. If it's a laptop, the answer has always been in the laptop manufacturer's settings, or OS settings modified by the laptop manufacturer.

Photoshop doesn't do this, and the video driver doesn't do this. Laptop manufacturers do, and that's where you need to look.

• 29. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                                  janos Level 1

Problem started with Photoshop update. - Why I have to write message for Nvidia? Because I do not want to use Apple product?

• 30. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

You can try drivers from your laptop manufacturer. NVIDIA have also released 6 drivers for your Nvidia card since January.

Last year I had an issue between Photoshop and my AMD gpu card. I had to roll back the AMD driver two versions to temporarily resolve it. I also raised bug reports with both AND and Adobe.

I kept checking each new driver release and it did eventually get resolved in an AMD driver release several driver versions later. Hence my comment that the very latest driver is not necessarily the most stable on a particular system.

Dave

• 31. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Buggy video drivers can take on the strangest forms. The 391 Quadro driver killed the "Export" UI on both my systems. I'm not too worried, I expect it will come back with the next driver update. But it is annoying. BTW, this is the first ever hint of a problem with a Quadro driver that I've seen.

• 32. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Does the legacy Save for web still work Dag?  I ask because I want to replace my AMD card to improve render speed in Blender and to get round a slow print dialogue issue with the current AMD drivers (like you said, YOU driver bugs van show themselves in peculiar ways).  I had settled on a Quadro, however I don't want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. I can live without Export As if Save for Web is OK.

Dave

• 33. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Save For Web works fine.

Quick Export also works, which is why I think it's just the Export interface that is missing. It reappeared after a prefs reset, and then promptly went MIA again. And it happened sometime shortly after I updated from 385 to 391 Quadro driver.

I have a lot of actions with Save For Web - now I wish I also had some using Export. If my theory holds, these actions should still work.

Quite aside from all that, I have always found Export slower than Save For Web - which sort of defeats the whole purpose of replacing it. If you try to feed either one full size camera files or panos, they both drop dead anyway.

• 34. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Thanks Dag - I'm happy as long as Save for Web will work normally

Dave

• 35. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                                              amithk17454766 Level 1

I can confirm that this bug exists in both CC 2017 and CC 2018, running on the latest Nvidia Driver (397.64), with photoshop set from Nvidia Control Panel to explicitly use the Discrete GPU
                                                                              It does not appear when
                                                                              - "Use Graphics Processor" is unticked
                                                                              - or when Photoshop is being used on an external display connected to the HDMI port

Turning off use of the graphics processor severely degrades performance and isn't a viable solution to this problem.

Config:

Acer Predator G3-572
                                                                              Intel Core i5 7300HQ

8GB RAM

Intel HD Graphics 630

Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti

• 36. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

amithk17454766  wrote

I can confirm that this bug exists in both CC 2017 and CC 2018

That's because it isn't Photoshop that does this. It's a laptop special setting that doesn't work well in some real-world configurations.

That's always a problem with laptops. They are so filled with custom "helpful" functions and utilities that you don't know where to start disabling them. Get a desktop machine, and you won't have this problem.

I once used a Sony Vaio for a while, very expensive, that did this. I finally managed to track down the setting to disable this "feature", but it took a while.

This is an issue that pops up at regular intervals. Former Photoshop engineer Chris Cox (who used to post here) made it very clear that Photoshop didn't contain a single line of code that could ever cause this. It just isn't possible.

• 37. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                                                  Giordano - ACP Italy Adobe Community Professional

Hello everyone,

I agree with what my colleagues say and I see that there are several people with the same problem and maybe not all for the same type of identical causes.

The causes may be different depending on the machine and the monitor and you should check:

- Update the drivers and not just the graphics card and the monitor, but surely these are the first ones to check.

- Check if you use a monitor connected to a Notebook that the "100% scale" ratio is the same for both.

- Open the Nvidia settings and go to Manage the 3D settings > Program Settings > Select a program to customize > Photoshop > ... check that you use Nvidia CPUs

- Test you monitor LCD monitor test images

- If the problem persists try Uninstalling the Nvidia drivers completely > restart the computer and download and reinstall the latest driver from the Nvidia website.

• 38. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018
                                                                                    oscara91138603 Level 1

I found a super weird "temporary fix" on windows for me , with photoshop open, go to  device manager and disable the integrated gpu,check photoshop should work fine now, go to the already open device manager again and you should be able to re-enable the integrated graphics and it should work ok without flickering, at least for me does. hope this help someone.

Is funny , cause is the same workaround I use to be able to play Destiny 2 on my laptop, the game launched as a black screen, and doing that "fixed it"

Regards.

• 39. Re: Brightness Flickering in Photoshop CC 2018

Oscara - Photoshop does not work well with multiple GPUs. See section 7&8 here:

Troubleshoot Photoshop graphics processor (GPU) and graphics driver issues

Dave

1 2 Previous Next