4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2018 7:09 AM by Jim Wilde

LR CC exports smaller size photos on a laptop?

AdiR

I noticed that lightroom cc on a smartphone exports significantly bigger size jpg files than lr cc on a laptop. Is it normal than an old smartphone exports (it takes 5-10 min lol) bigger size photos than a new laptop? How can I force lr cc on my laptop to export at least the same size photos as lr cc on mobile phone?

I choose "highest available quality" jpg on smartphone, and of course "full size" jpg on laptop. I also tried to choose custom size while saving but it doesn't help when i choose a long size 6016 px in case of my 6016/4016 photos.

The resolutions of a smartphone exported photo and a laptop exported photo are the same (6016/4016). But the size (MB) is always around 20 percent smaller in case of photos that are exported by lr cc on laptop.

• 1. Re: LR CC exports smaller size photos on a laptop?
          cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Can you post a screen shot of your export settings? Perhaps there is a setting that is reducing the file size...

• 2. Re: LR CC exports smaller size photos on a laptop?
            AdiR Level 1

export settings laptop.pngexport settings phone.pngSize laptop.pngsize phone.png

Thank you for answering! I really appreciate it! Here are shots of my export options on laptop and phone, and results. In every case a photo is saved in around 20 percent bigger size by lr cc on smartphone compared to do it on a laptop.

Is there a setting that is reducing the file size... in lightroom cc? I know about this option in lr classic but not in lightroom cc...

• 3. Re: LR CC exports smaller size photos on a laptop?
              cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Thanks for loading the screen shots... I can't see a cause for the difference in file size between the old iPhone export file size being bigger than the maximum file size exported from the desktop.

The next question is... what are you doing with the images? Is the gap limiting what you want to do? There should be ample resolution to make rather large prints with the resolution. Most of the functionality in CC is centered around supporting a digital ecosystem as opposed to classic supporting a more traditional use if imagery.

That said if you might want to test whether this will suit your needs: Download synced Lightroom photos and videos from the cloud to a computer

Rather than exporting, you will download the RAW files with edits saved to the XMP sidecar files. Let us know if this helps.

• 4. Re: LR CC exports smaller size photos on a laptop?
                Jim Wilde Adobe Community Professional

I would think it's a difference in the image quality that each app is using, perhaps the smartphone app is exporting at quality 100 with the desktop app being a little bit less (maybe around 90). I wouldn't think it's anything to be concerned about, there are several small inconsistencies between the various apps that I hope will be tidied up before long. I think Adobe are already aware of these things, hopefully to be sorted in due course (and maybe by giving up more export options than currently, that would be good).