4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 1:16 PM by Abambo

Acrobat Reader DC not printing my file the correct size

meganb65544328

Hello!

I have a file that I created in Illustrator that was then saved as a "High Quality" PDF. The artboard size of my file is 8.5x11 and my artwork fits within this standard page size. The PDF looks correct when I open it on screen, but when I go to print it, even though my print setting is on "Actual Size", it is blowing up my artwork so that it is outside of the margins and printing too large. My edges are being cut off and my artwork is too big! I am on a new computer with windows 10 and the latest version of Reader DC. This was never a problem on my old windows 7 computer.

Why is this happening??

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Acrobat Reader DC not printing my file the correct size
          Akki_24 Adobe Employee

Hi Meganb,

Could you please try printing the document as "Print As Image"? For testing purpose, you may check this and refer to the help document- Troubleshoot PDF printing in Acrobat and Reader

Also, try creating the custom page size and then print- Using the Adobe PDF printer, Acrobat

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Akanchha

• 2. Re: Acrobat Reader DC not printing my file the correct size
            Abambo Adobe Community Professional

By pressing CTRL-D in Acrobat, look at the dimensions: are they what you expect?

• 3. Re: Acrobat Reader DC not printing my file the correct size
              meganb65544328 Level 1

Thank you, the dimensions are correct and the print was the same when I printed as an "image" (except the quality and colour were reduced significantly, so that doesn't work!)

I have figured out what happened - the PDF is printing with a border that is cutting off my crop lines and my bleed, making it look enlarged. It is in fact printing the correct size but with a nasty border that I cannot turn off. Borderless printing is grayed out as an option - I'm guessing because of my printer's lack of capability?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Acrobat Reader DC not printing my file the correct size
                Abambo Adobe Community Professional

If you creat a design of 2” it should print with 2 inches, exept if you ask fit to page. If there are element cut off on the borders tha5 means your printer driver OR your printer is not capable of using that area.

You are initially saying that your artwork is blown up, which means that it gets scaled. that does not correspond with your assumptions now. But your assumtions niw are quite more logical.

If you need help, it is important to describe the problem as accurate as possible. And giving exact infos about the OS, program version, printer and printer driver will help to get to the kernal of the problem.

So my question now is: is the artwork represented on a true scale, and only the borders are cut off?  if that is the case, your printer or the driver lacks the borderless printing. (I’m situated in Europe, so my mesurements are metric). If they are blown up or reduced, you should check the printing parameters carefully. All of the problemsI have with my people printing Acrobat files are fit to page or scales at print time. In all the cases, Acrobat did the job it was asked for.