6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2018 5:05 PM by firefun123

Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop

firefun123

Hi, I have a Wacom Intous Draw tablet, and CC 2018, running on Windows 10. At random, my pen pressure will stop working, and draw like I'm using a mouse. The rest of the tablet is still functioning fine. Sometimes just saving the document fixes it, but mostly I have to unplug the tablet and plug it back in or restart Photoshop. Always, it happens again within the next hour, mainly 5-10 minutes. I have two tablets, and both have the same issue (one is bran new). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. I also contacted Wacom, who told me it must be Photoshop that causes it. I've reset all the brushes, but I haven't reset all my preferences (couldn't find a clear way how for windows 10). I've also totally uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop, tried all the USB ports, and nothing has helped. It isn't a detrimental issue, but is annoying. Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks

• 1. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
          Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sounds like your machine is running out of memory.

• 2. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
            firefun123 Level 1

It's a bran new computer, with not much on it

• 3. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
              Brad Lawryk Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What are the specifications of your computer. New doesn't always mean it meets specification requirements. Especially RAM is what you want to check.

• 4. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
                firefun123 Level 1

I don't remember the exact specifications, but it's a tower and well suited for Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
                  ethandale Level 1

I also have extensive issues with the Intuos Draw. They have been going on for about 15 months now, and this is after extensive troubleshooting from Adobe, Microsoft, and Wacom (though Wacom has only gotten back to me about 10% of the time). Multiple other people I know, 8 or 9 have the same issues with their Cintiqs, and everyone that has a Wacom device in my class has struggled with driver issues at one point or another.

I bought a Dell Canvas for at home use, and I plan on purchasing either a Surface or some other American made product. Never looking back into driver hell.

I probably should mention, this happens both on my laptop (Dell XPS 15) and my desktop. The desktop has 64 GB of RAM, and 50 of those are dedicated to Photoshop. It's not a RAM issue. It's a Wacom issue.

What I would recommend doing (short of purchasing a different tablet) is keeping another window to another program open, like File Explorer. Sometimes, if you alt tab to File Explorer and then back into Photoshop, it can fix the issue temporarily, and Photoshop will start reading your pen pressure sensitivities again.

I've also read online that people have had success with Wacom tablets after disabling Windows Ink. Unfortunately, this did not work for me, but maybe it'll work for you? It's always worth a shot.

• 6. Re: Pen pressure hiccuping in Photoshop
                    firefun123 Level 1

Thank you for the advice, so far you've told me the most info. I saw a couple other places about the Windows ink, but not the other window solution. If it keeps on going, I'll look into some of the other brands you mentioned. Thank you again!