6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 11:31 PM by Baische

Present image on rollover

Badly Drawn Boy Level 1
      I posted a message with several questions yesterday. I've been able to figure out all of them except for one. Here's the web page I'm working on: http://cdkarts.com/portfolio.html.

What I'd like to do is create a Flash application that displays a different image in the box to the right when the viewer rolls over the various menu items.

I'm on a crash course learning Flash and Dreamweaver right now with no previous experience in either program. I don't expect anyone to do the coding for me; but I would be grateful for a few tips. Even directing me to the right section of the help files, giving me the names of elements/commands I need to research, etc. would be very helpful. I want to learn how to do it myself - I just don't even know where to start.

Thanks.
        • 1. Present image on rollover
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          I've created a sample that you can scrutinize as far as what's been done to have images swapping for button rollovers. You can download it here:

http://www.nedwebs.com/Flash/imageswapping.zip

It's great that you want to learn this stuff yourself... that's what I did/do. There's years of learning ahead of you, have fun with it--I know I'm not done yet... just started learning AS3.0 recently.

The best place to start in my case was to dive in and try to design something, which is what you have done so far. I can't say it's the best place to start, but it can't hurt (Myself, I hate reading... doing is more fun).

I wish I could recommend a good book, but the only one I ever bought (recently) was Essential Actionscript 3.0 and my first attempt to make use of it resulted in me deeming it to be a good doorstopper or paperweight. There was a posting yesterday in the Actionscript 3 forum, titled "New to action script", where some people recommended what they consider to be good beginning books, so maybe you'll find it without much problem (today... avoid the Monday rush of new postings).

• 2. Re: Present image on rollover
            Badly Drawn Boy Level 1
            Ned,

I can't thank you enough for the file! It is the easiest way to learn (by doing). I'll dig in and see what I can do.

Best,
            Chris
            • 3. Re: Present image on rollover
              There are other ways to do it using code, but for now you'll get a flavoring of dealing with code and the timeline... both can be key elements in creating neat stuff.
              • 4. Re: Present image on rollover
                Baische
                Hi, I'm trying to do a similar thing but can't get it to work. I looked at the Flash file, but I don't understand where the other pictures are in the file. I'm quite new to Flash. I tried it a different way using instructions for a rollover in a book. It "sort of" works, but the pictures don't stay and when I roll over the blank area, the pictures appear again. You can see it here: http://www.cghillcommunications.com/newsite/portfoliotest.html

Is a regular rollover insufficient to do what I want? or does it require the ActionScript you had in your file? Where do I put the pictures? Mine will be different shapes and sizes.

Thanks so much.
                • 5. Re: Present image on rollover
                  There are probably a couple of things you need to change. It appears the buttons themselves have a rollout command to hide the images, so if you want them to stay, you need to get rid of it. You may need to create a hideAll type of function for the rollover event function that operates ahead of displaying the image associated with the button--depends on how the piece is designed.

As far as hovering over the areas where the images appear, start with getting rid of anything to do with rollover/rollout for whatever is living there.

Since you are trying to do something similar, it will help if you describe what isn't similar about what you want to achieve compared to the sample file I offered already.
                  • 6. Re: Present image on rollover
                    Baische Level 1
                    I want it to function just like yours, but I'm having a hard time recreating the functionality in my file. Do the images have to be in a movie clip? I'll probably have 20 of them added at different times. In your file all of the images are the same size, so they cover each other -- what if the images are different sizes?

Thank you.