6 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2008 10:17 AM by Newsgroup_User

Basic approach to doing this

Level 7
      Never seen Fireworks (v. 8) before today so just a quick question.
      There is a Microsoft Word Document (50MB+) which I have been tasked to
      cut the images and paste them into Fireworks to save as PNG. What is
      kind of frustrating is doing->file new. It always seems to open at
      16X16 pixels.

The images I am cutting can be small, such as button icon images to
      large full screen shots. I am just taking them out of the file in order
      they appear in the document. What is the best way to get a size on
      this? Perhaps I am doing this wrong. If I paste into the 16x16 pixel
      size, don't I lose something? Is there a quick resize/scale I should use?

• 1. Re: Basic approach to doing this
          Level 7
          On 16 May 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, wjr wrote:

> Never seen Fireworks (v. 8) before today so just a quick question.
          > There is a Microsoft Word Document (50MB+) which I have been tasked
          > to cut the images and paste them into Fireworks to save as PNG. What
          > is kind of frustrating is doing->file new. It always seems to open
          > at 16X16 pixels.
          >
          > The images I am cutting can be small, such as button icon images to
          > large full screen shots. I am just taking them out of the file in
          > order they appear in the document. What is the best way to get a
          > size on this? Perhaps I am doing this wrong. If I paste into the
          > 16x16 pixel size, don't I lose something? Is there a quick
          > resize/scale I should use?

I don't have Word to test this on, but you should be able to do a 'save
          as web page'; the images should export separately in appropriate sizes.

--
          Joe Makowiec
          http://makowiec.net/
          Email: http://makowiec.net/contact.php
          • 2. Basic approach to doing this
            abeall Level 3
            Hm, the File > New size normally matches the contents of your clipboard. Are you saying that's not the case?

Anyway, regardless of the size of the canvas, if you paste your image you can make the canvas match the size instantly using Fit Canvas, by doing one of the following:
            1) Modify > Canvas > Fit Canvas
            2) Deselect the pasted object by clicking somewhere outside of it or Select > Deselect (Ctrl+D), then in the Properties panel there's a button "Fit Canvas"
            3) Ctrl+Alt+F

HTH
            • 3. Re: Basic approach to doing this
              Level 7

Joe Makowiec wrote:
              > On 16 May 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, wjr wrote:
              >
              >
              >>Never seen Fireworks (v. 8) before today so just a quick question.
              >>There is a Microsoft Word Document (50MB+) which I have been tasked
              >>to cut the images and paste them into Fireworks to save as PNG. What
              >>is kind of frustrating is doing->file new. It always seems to open
              >>at 16X16 pixels.
              >>
              >>The images I am cutting can be small, such as button icon images to
              >>large full screen shots. I am just taking them out of the file in
              >>order they appear in the document. What is the best way to get a
              >>size on this? Perhaps I am doing this wrong. If I paste into the
              >>16x16 pixel size, don't I lose something? Is there a quick
              >>resize/scale I should use?
              >
              >
              > I don't have Word to test this on, but you should be able to do a 'save
              > as web page'; the images should export separately in appropriate sizes.
              >
              Yes, you can do that. For this document, they are not being saved as
              png. The primary goal at this step is to get all the images into PNG
              format. Then something else will be done with them.

• 4. Re: Basic approach to doing this
                Level 7

abeall wrote:
                > Hm, the File > New size normally matches the contents of your clipboard. Are
                > you saying that's not the case?

That appears to be the case. It seems to be coming up with the previous
                size not the current size to be more specific.

>
                > Anyway, regardless of the size of the canvas, if your paste you image can make
                > the canvas match the size instantly using Fit Canvas, by doing one of the
                > following:
                > 1) Modify > Canvas > Fit Canvas
                > 2) Deselect the pasted object by clicking somewhere outside of it, then in the
                > Properties panel there's a button "Fit Canvas"
                > 3) Ctrl+Alt+F
                This is likely what I was looking for.

Thanks,

• 5. Re: Basic approach to doing this
                  Level 7
                  wjr wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > Joe Makowiec wrote:
                  >> On 16 May 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, wjr wrote:
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>> Never seen Fireworks (v. 8) before today so just a quick question.
                  >>> There is a Microsoft Word Document (50MB+) which I have been tasked
                  >>> to cut the images and paste them into Fireworks to save as PNG. What
                  >>> is kind of frustrating is doing->file new. It always seems to open
                  >>> at 16X16 pixels.
                  >>>
                  >>> The images I am cutting can be small, such as button icon images to
                  >>> large full screen shots. I am just taking them out of the file in
                  >>> order they appear in the document. What is the best way to get a
                  >>> size on this? Perhaps I am doing this wrong. If I paste into the
                  >>> 16x16 pixel size, don't I lose something? Is there a quick
                  >>> resize/scale I should use?
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> I don't have Word to test this on, but you should be able to do a
                  >> 'save as web page'; the images should export separately in appropriate
                  >> sizes.
                  >>
                  > Yes, you can do that. For this document, they are not being saved as
                  > png. The primary goal at this step is to get all the images into PNG
                  > format. Then something else will be done with them.

But once you have a folder of JPGs you could then batch process them and
                  export as PNG, would take a moment or 2.

Steve
                  • 6. Re: Basic approach to doing this
                    Level 7

Dooza wrote:
                    > wjr wrote:
                    >
                    >>
                    >>
                    >> Joe Makowiec wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> On 16 May 2008 in macromedia.fireworks, wjr wrote:
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>>> Never seen Fireworks (v. 8) before today so just a quick question.
                    >>>> There is a Microsoft Word Document (50MB+) which I have been tasked
                    >>>> to cut the images and paste them into Fireworks to save as PNG. What
                    >>>> is kind of frustrating is doing->file new. It always seems to open
                    >>>> at 16X16 pixels.
                    >>>>
                    >>>> The images I am cutting can be small, such as button icon images to
                    >>>> large full screen shots. I am just taking them out of the file in
                    >>>> order they appear in the document. What is the best way to get a
                    >>>> size on this? Perhaps I am doing this wrong. If I paste into the
                    >>>> 16x16 pixel size, don't I lose something? Is there a quick
                    >>>> resize/scale I should use?
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>>
                    >>> I don't have Word to test this on, but you should be able to do a
                    >>> 'save as web page'; the images should export separately in
                    >>> appropriate sizes.
                    >>>
                    >> Yes, you can do that. For this document, they are not being saved as
                    >> png. The primary goal at this step is to get all the images into PNG
                    >> format. Then something else will be done with them.
                    >
                    >
                    > But once you have a folder of JPGs you could then batch process them and
                    > export as PNG, would take a moment or 2.
                    But I wouldn't know where they came from in the hundreds of pages of
                    documents.

I have one document which needs to be broken up into ~100 files for use
                    with a help system. Basically trying to not rewrite the whole thing.

What would be great it if it would save as html, but break it up into
                    parts that I need but toc or something. Never mind though.