• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get object to move behind another object... help?

Participant ,
Feb 09, 2018 Feb 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried using front and behind in Indesign 2017 and this usually works, but lately this has been an issue. I can't get objects to move either behind or in front of other objects. I even try select the first object, etc. That never works. I try saving, reopening, restarting computer. Nothing. I can't get the object I need to move to the front and the other object to go to the back. The objects are not locked. I'm at a loss for what to do and why this seems to be happening more????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the objects that stay in front are on another layer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking at my layers. One is a text layer and the other is an artwork layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, and which layer are you working on? Can you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to move the grouped footer object, which is showing as text box, behind the red line, which is showing as artwork. The artwork has a small indent curve box at the top that should go on top of the tooter object.

Layers.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot see which object is selected on your screenshot, and I a afraid I do not understand what you mean by “which is showing as text box” (English is not my native language).

I see objects that are on a green layer and a selected object which is on a red layer. Which object should at the top? The red line? Can you show a screenshot of your layer panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The red line at the bottom should be in front of the the group of images, but I can't this artwork to move to the front. I have a big project, so I have to attach the Text and Artwork Layers for you to see.

Text Layers.JPG

Artwork Layers.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot shows clearly that the (red) artwork layer is under the (green) text layer, so any object of the red layer CAN'T be in front of any object of the green layer. And it seems that all the photos of your first screenshot are on the text layer and the red line seems to be on the red layer, so you have to put this red line on another layer…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. How do I put the red line on another layer? I'm not sure I understand why this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not create the document?

Ok, go on your layer panel, click on the small rectangle at the right bottom of the panel, or alt-click to open a dialog box to name it as you wish. By default, each new layer comes at the top of the other existing layers. Once it's done, select the red line on your document, you will see a square dot on the layer panel that corresponds to this object. Select this share dot and drag it onto the topmost layer.

I leave you, dinner time in France!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I didn't create this document, you are right. But I have now fixed this by creating a new Layer. You are great. Must be nice to be in France! Enjoy your dinner and thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines