3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 2:36 PM by JimHess

I only use LR Classic, do I need LR CC on my computer and does it take up storage space?

greg14 Level 1

I only use LR Classic, do I need LR CC on my computer and does it take up storage space?

My Internal HD shows 2.34 GB for LR Classic and 1.77 GB for LR CC.
      Is the LR CC of 1.77 just a mirror of the main LR 2.34 or am I storing an extra 1.77 gb for a program I do not use.

IOW's If it is not a mirror does the 1-77 GB  draw down the storage of the HD that I have.

Thanks,

Greg          

• 1. Re: I only use LR Classic, do I need LR CC on my computer and does it take up storage space?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lightroom CC (the new one) is a new program that stores your master images in the cloud. It is NOT intended to work with Lightroom Classic CC. It is a different workflow, designed for a different user with different needs and expectations. It is for users who want their images and the cloud and available on all devices immediately and have the same type of features available on those devices. Consequently, Lightroom CC doesn't have all the features that Lightroom Classic CC has at this time. It is a new program that is in its infancy and will grow and mature. If you are subscribed to the Creative Cloud photography plan you have the option to use it or not to use it. I have it installed on my computer and I look at it from time to time. However, since I'm not a user of the current mobile devices that are so popular with many people, it isn't a program that appeals to me. I haven't adopted Lightroom CC and haven't migrated my catalog to it. I haven't found a reason to do so as yet. You may find that it appeals to you and you may have a different perspective. The choice is yours. But it isn't a program that you need. It is a decision that YOU need to make for yourself. Many users have switched to it and are extremely happy with what they have. Both Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC are both being developed and fully supported by Adobe. Choosing one over the other is not an indication that you are sacrificing for giving up anything. You are simply choosing which program is more adaptable to your workflow.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I only use LR Classic, do I need LR CC on my computer and does it take up storage space?
            greg14 Level 1

Appreciate the quick and thoughtful response.

When I open LR CC on my main computer all my pictures are shown as thumbnails, that is why I was concerned about storage, my gut tells me that they are simple mirror images (copies) of LR Classic.

I too do not use any mobile device for LR, however either I downloaded the mobile LR app or it asked me to but there are no pictures in it except for one that I took with my phone.

I will leave and ignore it for now, as much as I think there are copies that do not take up space, I do not want to run the risk of deleting anything, I would imagine we have all suffered at the hands of the "Delete" button.

Thanks,

Greg

• 3. Re: I only use LR Classic, do I need LR CC on my computer and does it take up storage space?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have shared collections using Lightroom Classic CC, Lightroom CC will show those collections. Those collections do not count against your allotted storage, however. Is this possibly what you are seeing?