• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom catalog cannot be opened ...

Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom 5: After having put off the computer without having closed Lightroom before and restarted the computer,  trying to start Lightroom results in 0 pictures shown and a fault message saying "The Lightroom catalog named Lightroom 5 Catalog cannot be opened since it is already opened in another program". (My translation from Swedish.) I can´t find any program that could be responsible for that in the activity handler in the computer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

In addition to what Just Shoot Me​ has said, it may be that you are looking at the wrong folder and the wrong catalog. Please use your operating system's search feature to find all files whose name ends with .LRCAT on all hard disks, and then see if any one of them has a .lock file in that folder (and delete the .lock file).

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using your operating system, you need to find a file whose name ends with .lock in the same folder as your catalog file. Delete this .lock file. Do not delete anything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have already done that after a hint to do so in the Adobe help content. Doesn´t help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you found a file with the extension of .LOCK and you deleted it? Correct?

What happened after you deleted it and tried to open LR. Please be specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, compared to before I deleted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So LR doesn't open and you get no error message?

Locate the catalog file, it ends with .lrcat, and double click on it. What happens?

What exact OS are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

evak93731521  wrote

I have already done that after a hint to do so in the Adobe help content. Doesn´t help.

If you had already done that, you could have mentioned it in the first place.

However, you may have deleted the wrong .lock file. Show us a screen capture of the folder in your operating system where your catalog file is stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skärmklipp.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you double click on that .lrcat file you show in the File Explorer window.

Do you have any current backups of the catalog file? By default LR is set to make a backup of the catalog file once a week.

Use the search feature of File Explorer, upper right hand corner, to search your drives for .lrcat. What comes up.

I am have the assumption that your install of LR has been corrupted. you can try reinstalling it from this link.

Download Photoshop Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also your catalog file looks very small, 1352 KBs.

My LR 5 cat file is 298,444 KBs. My LR 6/2015 cat file is 335,920 KBs. My LR C CC cat is 233,000 and adobe has made changes to the LR C CC catalog to make is smaller.

I have a test catalog for LR C CC that has only 7 images imported into it and that is 31,896 KBs in size.

So the cat file you are showing in that screen shot looks like it was just created with no images imported and or very few images and no adjustments.

I just opened LR 5 on my system and created a new catalog. That new catalog with no images in it is 1,352 KBs in size. The exact same size as the cat file you are showing in your screen shot. So either you just started using LR 5 and created a new catalog or you are not open the correct catalog. There must be another catalog file on your system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to what Just Shoot Me​ has said, it may be that you are looking at the wrong folder and the wrong catalog. Please use your operating system's search feature to find all files whose name ends with .LRCAT on all hard disks, and then see if any one of them has a .lock file in that folder (and delete the .lock file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right!

The .lrcat file was in folder D:

When clicking that LR opened quite fine wit all the pictures!

Thank you so very much, dj_paige and Just Shoot Me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DJ_paige .... thank you!!!.... I could not figure out what was going on... deleting .lock did it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. That worked just fine for me and saved my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me. Dont know what caused the *.lock, but once I deleted it LR opened fine. Thanks all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find anything ends with LOCK"" now what should i do ?! Plz I wanna a answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Describe the exact problem you are facing, from the beginning. Describe exactly what you have done to solve the problem so far, in detail.

Please state the exact version number of your Lightroom. We need the version NUMBER and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date".

Please state the exact version number of your operating system. We need the version NUMBER and not words like "latest" or "up-to-date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines