• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Turn off Smart Previews on Import

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have no need to work on my files remotely, I don't need Smart Previews.  How do I turn off Smart Previews when I import into Lightroom?  I don't need to use the space or the CPU capacity but I just can't fine anything in Preferences or anywhere else to shut it off. As I'm importing off of a card, I can click on the progress graph in the upper left, then wait until it starts building the Smart Previews and cancel the operation, but that is not only inefficient, several are produced before I can cancel the operation.

There must be a way to just say no....I'm running a Windows 10 Pro machine and 64 bit LR Classic CC.  Any help?

Jeff

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 10, 2018 Feb 10, 2018

It's an option right at the top of the right hand panel of the import dialog window. File Handling, Build Previews.

Built in Preview.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an option right at the top of the right hand panel of the import dialog window. File Handling, Build Previews.

Built in Preview.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Just Shoot Me,

I can't believe I didn't see that check box.  Duh.....Thanks and thanks to all that responded. I'll now go hang my head in shame.!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I really do not like the preview I get when I am trying to edit a RAW image. Is there a way I can have this embeded preview disabled as I want to see my RAW image in the Develop section as I edit my picture so that I am not blindly editing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably know this, but just for clarification. Even though you don't choose to build smart previews Lightroom will create standard previews. It is part of the process, and will speed up the editing process. You cannot use Lightroom without the standard previews. You can however choose whether to have standard, minimal or 1:1 previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

You can however choose whether to have standard, minimal or 1:1 previews.

Or as shown in my screen shot use the embedded JPG included in every RAW file or a JPG Sidecar file as the preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And have no previews at all? Really?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really. Speeds up importing and culling. If you zoom in to 1:1 then a preview is made at that time. If you just view in Loupe view the embedded JPG is used. That is if the camera make a large enough JPG in the RAW file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm old and getting more and more dense by the day. Where do you tell Lightroom NOT to generate any previews at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim you do it in the import dialog. Choose embedded & sidecar method. Lightroom will use the camera preview.

Do your culling in the library and then select all your picks. Then generate previews only for the keepers. No need to generate previews for the rejects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. Learn something new everyday. But I'll probably never do it. I am rather homebound anymore anyway. My wife has cancer and can't get out much. Maybe I'm getting a little out of touch, do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s always a pleasure to see you here Jim. Sorry to hear about your wife. Hope you are both getting good support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. She's doing quite well, really. She just needs to be on oxygen constantly and because of the medication she is using needs to avoid being in the sun as much as possible. She is still quite spunky and keeps me on my toes. Life goes on, but we just don't go anywhere much anymore. Sorry to burden everyone with my personal problems. Enough about those. No more, I promise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that Jim. All my best to you and your wife.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

99jon  wrote

Jim you do it in the import dialog. Choose embedded & sidecar method. Lightroom will use the camera preview.

Do your culling in the library and then select all your picks. Then generate previews only for the keepers. No need to generate previews for the rejects.

Actually Jon there is no reason to generate previews at all. Once you go into the Develop module a preview will be created for just those images you are going to edit. Once they are displayed in the Loupe view area of the main develop window.

If you build standard previews once you go into the Develop module LR will generate a larger preview anyway, you will see "Loading" at the bottom of the screen. That is LR creating a 1:1 preview. If you build 1:1 then you won't see the "Loading" banner at the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah your method would work. I tend to generate the previews for the picks while still in Library and watch all the “embedded preview” overlays disappear.  The Develop module momentarily uses the previews while drawing data from the camera raw cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the screen shot I posted. In the File Handling section of the import dialog. You select Embedded & Sidecar instead of any of the other options.

The sidecar they are talking about is if you shoot RAW + JPG in your camera and in the LR Catalog Settings you don't have the option check to treat JPGs next to RAW as a separate file. Then LR treats the JPGs as Sidecar files.

That Sidecar is completely different from a XMP Sidecar file.

This is only an option on import. I would like to have that setting as an option for all images but Adobe hasn't implemented that yet and as we know may never do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that when I build smart previews the culling process and rating is quicker. Moving through images in the Library module is pretty instant. When standard or 1:1 previews are built but not smart previews I experience a bit a lag when moving between images. Once I'm done rating the images I'll discard the smart previews if they are not needed any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you discarding your previews? I just got my computer back from the shop with a new hard drive and video card and am trying to figure out why Lightroom is running so slow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While in the Library module select the Library menu and then the Previews menu. You'll find options for discarding 1:1 previews as well as Smart previews.

I'd be surprised if discarding previews would speed up lightroom, if anything building previews should make lightroom faster. Discarding previews is aimed more at keeping the catalog size smaller.

In what way(s) is lightroom behaving slowly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. I've been poking around trying to figure out what is going on. Lightroom has spent the last few hours Building 1:1 previews and when I try to go to 1:1 to check focus it is forever loading and never generates the preview (which I am guessing is due to the previews not being built yet).

I am trying to figure out if the repair shop did something that is negatively effecting Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If lightroom is in the process of building 1:1 previews that could be what is slowing down normal operation. Can you stop the process by hitting the 'x' next to the progress bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stopped it now. What happens when I want to check the focus on the image will it then create a 1:1? And it's still incredibly slow loading the standard preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some comments-

If you have many thousands of images, building 1:1 previews could take "over-night", not just hours!!

Building 1:1 previews for ALL files will GREATLY increase the size of your Previews folder.

You can stop the previews building by clicking the X on the Progress bar at the top of screen.

You really only need 1:1 previews for photos that you are reviewing or editing. All others can be set to 'Standard' previews.

You can build (or Discard) 1:1 previews for selected Folders or Images when needed.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's only generating 207 previews. I've never had it take this long even when uploading many more previews. I will try to clear out old 1:1 previews and see if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines