Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro not utilizing my laptops Radeon Pro Card

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

So my work got me a Dell Precision 7520 to edit on, which has a Radeon Pro WX 4130. I've been editing some light projects with it and it's been fine, but on my latest project I had some more intense work going into it and I noticed it was rendering very slowly. So I went to check and see if Mercury Playback was enabled and it's currently set to 'Software Only' with the drop down grayed out so I can't set it to utilize OpenCL rendering like I would assume my WX 4130 would support. Any ideas on how to fix this?

My Laptop has '2' graphics cards because of the Integrated Graphics on the Intel chip (Intel HD Graphics 630), so I think Premiere is using that as a primary graphics chip. The laptop is supposed to have 'swappable graphics' under the settings, but no matter what I set my performance mode to, it doesn't seem to take advantage of the Radeon card.

I tried disabling the 630 via device manager, which did then give me the option to enable OpenCL, but Premiere crashes almost immediately after I enable it.

So is there something I'm missing here?

[Moderator note: moved to best forum.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is all due to a Windows installation that requires the Intel UHD Graphics to be enabled at all times for Windows itself to function properly, and the fact that Premiere Pro does not currently support switchable graphics at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randall,

1.  Does this mean that any laptop processor that has an integrated Intel 600 series GPU will have this problem?

2.  Is there any commonality you can see between this Precision 7520 and the Surface Pro problems?

3.  Would rolling back to an earlier version of Premiere be a possible solution, what version of Premiere dropped this capability?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Any system - laptop or desktop - with any integrated Intel HD or UHD Graphics (any series) will have this problem, if the system has no provision whatsoever to completely disable the integrated Intel graphics in the BIOS/EFI and something is connected to the video-out port(s) that are associated with the integrated Intel graphics.

And only the CC (2013), 2014 and 2015.0 through 2015.2 versions supported swappable graphics. Unfortunately, only the original CC (2013) release is still available through the Adobe CC app; none of the other versions are available any longer anywhere (at least as far as the Adobe Creative Cloud downloads are concerned).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply. Sucks to hear that it's not supported. I did try disabling the HD 630 through device manager again and then restarted my laptop. OpenCL was then on by default in Premiere and it seems to be working (need to try a working on a bigger project again). Although I've had some random glitches and hang ups here and there that I am assuming are related to disabling the integrated graphics. My PC randomly makes the device disconnected notification sound, all of my screens go black for a second, and then everything I had open is suddenly on my default monitor instead of spread out to my other connected monitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines