1 Reply Latest reply on May 18, 2008 10:23 PM by margotdarby

Flash MX 2004 crashes on launch

syncrasy
      Flash MX 2004 (part of Macromedia Studio MX 2004) is crashing upon launch on my Mac G5 (PowerPC) desktop. I use Flash rarely, but I know it worked last year. What's especially odd is that the program launches without a problem on my G4 PowerBook laptop. Both machines are running Mac OS 10.4.11. The other parts of Studio (Dreamweaver, Fireworks, etc.) run fine.

I tried disconnecting peripherals (USB Wacom tablet, Firewire hub), but no luck. Next I tried uninstalling/reinstalling Flash several times, including from a second admin user account. (When I uninstall, I always manually trash the prefs and Application Support files in the Library too, along with any shared Library files.) When I launch the newly-reinstalled Flash for the first time, I enter my serial number, and everything looks good, but when the "Do you want to register?" window pops up, and I select any of the choices, the app crashes immediately. Thereafter, when I try to launch Flash, the splash screen appears (loading fonts, etc), but as soon as the loading process finishes, the app crashes.

Whenever I perform "Repair Disc Permissions" after a crash, I get this:

Permissions differ on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia, should be drwxrwxr-x , they are drwxrwxrwx
      Owner and group corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia
      Permissions corrected on ./Library/Application Support/Macromedia

Whenever I perform "Repair Disc Permissions" after an installation, the utility corrects eight or so permissions related to Flash Player.

I tried reinstalling Flash without the Flash Player 7, with no benefit. I tried reinstalling Flash then installing the Flash MX 2004 update before launch. No luck.

Adobe no longer supports MX 2004, so they can't really help me.

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Flash MX 2004 crashes on launch
          margotdarby Level 1
          This is not the answer you want, but if you can get yourself a copy of Flash 8, you'll have almost exactly the same program with a better interface...and it won't crash on you! (BTW, Flash 8 is still the standard in most places.) I loved Flash 7, better known as the 2004 MX versions, but it was buggy and cranky because it was released too soon. Flash 8 was much better and far more user-friendly.