• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Laptop for Editing in Premiere: Acer Predator Helios vs. Eluktronics N870HP6 (or PowerSpec, MSI)

Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am in the market for a laptop for editing on the go in Premiere (by "on the go"... I mean, plugged in at a desk while visiting other cities).

I am looking at:

• Acer Predator Helios (Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD, GeForce GTX 1060-6GB)

The 16.6" Predator is currently $1,049.

Amazon.com: Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, 15.6" Full HD, Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU, ...

• Eluktronics N870HP6 (Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core  6GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 256GB PCIe NVMe SSD + 16GB DDR4 RAM) (or another Clevo laptop- the Eluktronics just happens to be cheaper than similar models from Sager or Prostar right now).

The Eluktronics 17" is on sale for $1,094.

Eluktronics N870HP6 Pro-X Premium VR Ready Gaming Laptop - Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core Windows 10 Home... (the 15" 850 is                  similarly priced).

There are many more reviews on the Predator for Premiere users and less info on Eluktronics, so I'm not sure if there are any unique performance or build issues or differences I should be aware of. I am new to laptops and Premiere issues with switchable graphics + need to disable on board GPU for better performance with dedicated graphics card. A friend who has a couple of Predators said one was great for editing and the other has some weird graphics card glitches. I will be working with a lot of effects that can be GPU accelerated with CUDA according to this list: Learn about effects in Premiere Pro.

I'm wondering if there will be a performance difference between these laptops while using Premiere or other things to consider? And secondly, if you would recommend one over the other for general quality/build, reliability, or customer service? Both have the same 1 year warranty.

I have also considered this PowerSpec 1510 from Microcenter: PowerSpec 1510 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black 348292 - Micro Center

And this MSI GL62VR: MSI GL62VR-NE1060 15.6" Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700HQ (2.80 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 VR Ready 16 ...

But, because my desktop will still be my main editing station, I'm not sure I need to spend $200 more for increased specs of the PowerSpec or that the MSI would offer that much more.

Thoughts?

Much Appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something very weird happening currently with the newer laptop that have two GPU's and specifically the built in HD 600 seiers GPU which is in the i7-7700HQ.  You no longer can disable the Intel to get at the nVidia (or even the AMD OpenCL) for Graphics acceleration in Premiere.  RJL​ is commenting on this problem.  We do not currently know the complete cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, Bill, that issue is specific to certain OEMs, not the HD Graphics 600 series itself. It is, after all, up to the OEM to implement changes in the BIOS/EFI in such laptops. The problem is that most, if not all, big-name OEMs "permanently" lock the settings at BIOS/EFI level on at least some of their laptops and desktops so that one cannot change any GPU or power-saver settings whatsoever. All Microsoft Surface-branded laptops and some Dells and some HPs do that.

What's more unfortunate for Microsoft Surface is the reliability record: According to another magazine (the one whose name rhymes with Schmonsumer Schmeports), the Microsoft Surface laptops have had a much worse reliability record than any other brand of laptop, Windows or OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randall, I understand, but how can we suggest any specific computer model that happens to have a HD 630 equipped CPU without some user test data?  I doubt any OEM support people would even be able to answer that question.  I wonder if the BIOS manufacturer could give us any clues?

I did get a submission from a PPBM test on an i7-7700 desktop but the submission was invalid and I did not get any updates from that user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

I did try to submit several results over the past couple of years. All of them bounced due to email settings. You see, I have moved several times over the past two and a half years, so the original IP address that I signed up for PPBM at is no longer applicable to my account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randall, since Harm passed away I no long require an account, sorry about that but if you have the data, on my PPBM8 site there is a contact button

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill. I will try to submit results from both my current i7-4790K @ 4.5 GHz and my currently-in-storage i7-7700 micro desktop, both with the same GTX 1060 card, in the coming days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both of you, I really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have to make an immediate decision?

"The PowerSpec model I listed from what I understand is just a Clevo650, similar to the Eluk 650. From the reviews, it seems that folks are able to switch to discrete graphics card."

It is not just a matter of switching to the discrete graphics card but in doing so do you disable any other functions of the laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha....

I do need to purchase something within the next few days for upcoming travel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your options my first love would be the 17" Eluktronics N870HP6 Pro-X because I love my 17-inch screen. but I guess if you are trading off portability being more important you might be happier with the 15-inch.  But both of these units great flexibility and upgradeability.   Now the MSI unit does offer the capability to have two SATA III drives but the Eluktronics is betteras it has one M.2 PCIE x4 port and one SATA III.  Unfortunately they put the OS/Application on the M.2 port and that is wasting that port, it is is best used for project files and media.  I would (like I did on this laptop) clone the OS/applications to a SATA III SSD and have your M.2 PCIe port for Premiere Pro projects and Media.  That reconfiguration will not work for your schedule.  And of course we do not know about about the GPU problem.

There is another solution to the functional requirement for two SSD's as storage if you find a unit with just one internal storage SSD,  The solution is a USB 3 portable SSD, now all USB 3 drives are not equal but there is one at least that provides adequate read/write speed that make it work well for editing Premiere Pro files.  The Samsung T series (T1, T3, and now the T5) And if you put all your project files and media on it you can (almost instantly) move from your laptop to your desktop and vice versa.

I hope whatever you decide to do it will work well for you.  Remember to tune your computer to get rid of any unecessary programs and processes that steal CPU cycles.  If you have time when you get your computer download, unzip and run my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) and I will try to help getting everything out of what you have.

Good Luck

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your help, Bill! I really appreciate it! I agree 17" would be ideal for editing and worth the extra bulk imho.

There's also a 17" version of Acer Predator Helios 300, for $200 more than their 15.4" model. B&H Photo Video

And, there is a 17" model of the ClevoPA71HS in the form of the PowerSpec 1710 PowerSpec 1710 - Full Review and Benchmarks (Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB; 16GB DDR4 RAM; 1TB HDD+250GB SSD) (and Eluktronics has their equivalent but at $1,844:  Amazon.com: Eluktronics PA71HS-G Premium VR Ready G-SYNC Gaming Laptop - Intel i7-7700HQ Quad Core W... ). This Clevo model seems to be comparable to the Clevo p650 from what I can tell so (still reading up), which so far people are saying had better build quality than the 850/870.

Anywho, hopefully the companies get back to me about GPU questions tomorrow so I can pull the trigger on one of these this week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Based on these benchmarks and tests, I'm deciding to give Predator Helios 300 a try.

Acer Predator Helios 300 Synthetic Benchmarks

Sager NP8156 Synthetic Benchmark Results - Tom's Hardware

(The Sager8156 is similar to Eluktronics p650 and Powerspec in being a Clevo p650 rebrand).

The p650/8156 just seems to have issues with cooling during CPU intensive tasks, which seems like it could be a big issue for video editing. Another benefit with the Predator is that the 17" comes with a 2 year warranty, rather than a 1 year warranty like all the other models I was looking at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give us a specific model number, it seems every dealer has a different model number if you want a final comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill. My main fear is getting something based on "specs" but that Premiere can't fully utilize.

Are there other options in the 1,000-1,200 range that you/others would recommend? Where I would definitely be able to disable the on board GPU or that only has discrete GPU (not sure if that's a thing, as I'm new to all of this). I'm not sure if there is a reliable way of knowing this other than searching forums?

Again, I'm not looking for the best system, just a budget system that will work well with Premiere while traveling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I just sent an email to a notebook user that their submittal came to me with all negative numbers so they were invalid.  Maybe they will respond with valid numbers.to see how pervasive this problem might be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eluktronics website for their P650 says:

"Extras: Control Center application allows you to control power options, switch from hybrid to discrete graphics plus customize fan settings & display/keyboard backlighting depending on power selection." Eluktro Pro P650 Series 15.6" Gaming Laptop

The N850HP6 page does not specify this. http://www.eluktronics.com/N870HP6-2S8R-RTS. Going to see if they get back to me on this.

The PowerSpec model I listed from what I understand is just a Clevo650, similar to the Eluk 650. From the reviews, it seems that folks are able to switch to discrete graphics card: http://www.microcenter.com/product/486481/1510_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

I’m also trying to see if someone can confirm that Acer Predator Helios 300 allows you to chose “always use discrete graphics” like their other models seem to.... I don't see this confirmed in any of the online reviews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the issue regarding the HD 600 GOU on the i7 chip overriding the NVidia card been resolved?  I'm considering the Acer Predator 17" i7 GTX 1060 as well for my work in Premiere Pro and need to know if I will have access to the 1060.  

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2018 Mar 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, all Intel iGPs override the discrete GPU if the laptop (or desktop) manufacturer fails to provide any provision at all whatsoever in the UEFI to disable the iGP (specifically, the manufacturer permanently locked this setting to the "Always Enabled" position). It's that the OpenCL support in the currently available Intel drivers for the iGP does not work properly on any of the 600-series iGPs, effectively locking Premiere to the MPE software-only mode. And since CC 2015.3, Adobe had removed the switchable graphics support, permanently locking the GPU selection to whichever GPU is used for the primary display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines