2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 7:18 AM by kglad

Buffering Time is ignored

KonstantinosPenlidis
      Hi,

on Flash CS3, on a movie with AS2.0, Flash 8 export settings I am using the FLVplayback component, and I am setting the Buffering time to 10 seconds, so when viewed online the flash movie pre-buffers the flv enough so it won't break while playing. The flv I a loading is 5MB so I need to do this prebuffering.

However, when tested online the ovie only waits half or one second and then plays... (for a technical reason I cannot test offline btw, so I always have to upload to the server).

How do I actually force the flv to be streamed for the time I ask and play after that time has passed?

If my problem is not clear enough I will reply asap with more info.

Thank you,

Konstantinos

link to screengrab of my properties window: http://www.vcdc.gr/images/penlix_images/properties.jpg
        • 1. Re: Buffering Time is ignored
          clbeech Level 3
          the docs state that for a progressively downloaded FLV there is little benefit from increasing the bufferTime property - so unless your using a FCS (Flash Communication Server) and a 'rtmp' address you won't be able to effect it.

However I suppose what one could do would be to use the event handlers to initiate a 'timed delay'. this would mean that when a user calls for the load to begin you start the load, 'stop' the playback, disable the controls, and start a timer with a progress indicator for the user. Then when the 'time' is complete - start up the FLV.
          • 2. Re: Buffering Time is ignored
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            i don't think that will help playback, clb. unless the entire flv is downloaded, the streaming is going to restart and nothing will be loaded from the user's cache.