5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2018 2:46 PM by mike160304

Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?

mike160304 Level 1

This came up because I need to find all my pics of rust, flaking paint, etc.  My existing folders tree is a typical manually created Windows 10 folders tree which suits me well.

I have PSE 15 but I have never used Organiser.  Would Organiser tag my photos without changing my folder tree ?

Adobe Bridge (free) has also been suggested ?

Also  ExifPro (free) and ThumbsPlus (expensive, looks very "pro") have been suggested.

I am told that in Search mode, some apps copy tagged photos to a new collection (more gigabytes) but others create a virtual collection without copying the files (space-efficient) ?

A lightweight, specific tag-and search app might be best, but does one exist?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mike

• 1. Re: Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?
          MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mike160304  wrote

This came up because I need to find all my pics of rust, flaking paint, etc.  My existing folders tree is a typical manually created Windows 10 folders tree which suits me well.

Mike

Mike,

The organizer is the tool for that.

Online help:

Elements Organizer Help | Elements Organizer User Guide

pdf help file:

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

I have PSE 15 but I have never used Organiser.  Would Organiser tag my photos without changing my folder tree ?

You are free to use your custom folder tree.

Adobe Bridge (free) has also been suggested ?

It's a different kind of asset management, a powerful browser (not based on catalogs)

I am told that in Search mode, some apps copy tagged photos to a new collection (more gigabytes) but others create a virtual collection without copying the files (space-efficient) ?

There are powerful browsers like Bridge or powerful catalog based management tools like the Organizer or Lightroom. None of them create duplicate files. They only store links to the location of your files on your drives.

Have a look at the help files, look at the video tutorials and ask here for more targeted help.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?
            mike160304 Level 1

Thank you Michel, that is all very encouraging.  I shall look at the help and tutorials that you have suggested.

Mike

• 3. Re: Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?
              mike160304 Level 1

Michel,  I opened Organizer and it told me to "Import Media" - I clicked on this and it "imported" all the folders from my Pictures folder on my internal hard drive.

I guess that here it is making links, not copying files?  i.e. it is not doubling the storage space required?

I then plugged in my external hard drive and it became Drive E.  I could not get it to "Import Media" from Drive E.  It did not respond to right click, which on my laptop is a 2-finger tap.

Could you comment on this please?

Mike

• 4. Re: Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?
                MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mike160304  wrote

I guess that here it is making links, not copying files?  i.e. it is not doubling the storage space required?

Mike

Yes.

You can check it from your organizer, menu Help >> System Info. That gives you the location of the catalog folder and its size. That location is 'hidden' by default; you have to set your Explorer to show 'hidden files and folders' to see it.

I then plugged in my external hard drive and it became Drive E.  I could not get it to "Import Media" from Drive E.  It did not respond to right click, which on my laptop is a 2-finger tap.

I only use a mouse and the keyboard (I am allergic to any other 'touch' pad or device )

Did you use the menu 'Import' from 'Files and folders'?

Don't use the 'Import in Bulk' -  In the folders panel on the left (in tree mode) click on the E drive to show its subfolders on the main panel. select all in that panel (Ctrl A) and click on the Get media button on the bottom right.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Simplest way to tag-and-search my existing photo collection?
                  mike160304 Level 1

Thank you Michel,  I shall try all that.