• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Relative Positioning and/or Crop with Graduated Filter Presets?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to incorporate the relative positions of Graduated Filters with my Presets?

If I make a Preset on a (example) 6000 x 5000 image, but then apply the preset on a (example) 1920 x 1080 image, the Graduated Filters are applied outside the image.

If it's done on a smaller image and applied on a large one, the filters are on the inside.

Would there be a way to save and/or apply the preset Graduated Filters to follow the crop and maintain the relative positions from photo to photo?

I know for 99% of situations people don't need this, but I am making Polaroid presets and Polaroid exposures have very predictable artifacts and different discolorations in predictable places depending on the film and camera used.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 15, 2018 Feb 15, 2018

ratio.photo  wrote

It could be applied before cropping, sure, but Do Graduated Filters follow the crop as you... crop? I know they follow the rotation to keep everything well oriented

The Graduated FIlter will remain fixed as long as you do NOT reposition the image using the Hand Tool to fit the Crop box. Instead drag the Crop Overlay edge and corner handles to position the crop on the image. (SEE BELOW POST)

ratio.photo  wrote

But from what I have experience, if I load images of different sizes (ex

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works if the scan images have the same aspect ratio, orientation, and have not been cropped inside LR. What are you trying to correct with the Graduated Filter and can it be applied BEFORE cropping the images?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should clarify,
Although the question I am asking can also be applied for correcting artefacts of scanned images, such as Polaroids, I want to take a Digital image and apply a preset to give it a Polaroid look.

In such a case, I would crop it beforehand, either to the square crop or wide Spectra look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't answer my questions, "What are you trying to correct (or achieve) with the Graduated Filter and can it be applied BEFORE cropping the images? The more information you give me the faster we can come up with a workable solution. You have to think outside of the box (no pun intended).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh I see, thank you
Graduated Filters for, in simplified terms;

Bottom:
- Reduced Clarity

- Increased Exposure

Left + Right:

- Reduced Clarity

- Darker Shadows

- Increased exposure
- Bluish Tinge

Top:

- Decrease clarity

- Decreased Exposure
- Dark Olive Green Tinge
- Magenta Tinge extending further down than the Above Green Tinge

Global:

- Modified Curve, somewhat matte

- Temperature Modification (depending on film and actual real life temperature during development)

- Negative Vignetting

- Rough, Small Grain

It could be applied before cropping, sure, but Do Graduated Filters follow the crop as you... crop? I know they follow the rotation to keep everything well oriented

But from what I have experience, if I load images of different sizes (example, a camera with 12mp vs a camera with 22mp) the Filters end up outside the images and do not show up, I have to zoom out and adjusted them all manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ratio.photo  wrote

The Graduated FIlter will remain fixed as long as you do NOT reposition the image using the Hand Tool to fit the Crop box. Instead drag the Crop Overlay edge and corner handles to position the crop on the image. (SEE BELOW POST)

ratio.photo  wrote

But from what I have experience, if I load images of different sizes (example, a camera with 12mp vs a camera with 22mp) the Filters end up outside the images and do not show up, I have to zoom out and adjusted them all manually.

I tested this with 2048 x3072 and 5616 x 3744 raw files and using Sync or a Develop preset the Graduated Filter remains in the exact same position on both. What you are seeing is probably due one or both images being cropped. That's why I said, "can it be applied BEFORE cropping the images." It works on my LR 7.2 system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at this further to check what the Crop Tool Angle control and Transform Rotate control does to the positioning of the Local Controls. The below image has Spot Removal, Radial Filter, Adjustment Brush, and Graduated Filter applied (from Left to Right). The Crop Tool Angle control moves ALL of the Local controls with the image. The Transform Rotate control moves all of the Local controls except the Radial Filter. Not sure if this is a bug, but it sure looks like it!

As long as you're using the Crop Tool Angle control there should be no issues.

Angle versus Rotate Controls LR 7.2.jpg

I've added a comment to an existing Photoshop Family Problem Report at the below link concerning the Radial Filter behavior. I suggest adding your 'Me To' vote and any comments.

Lightroom 5.7.1: Copied radial filter effects appears on mirrored position when camera rotation chan...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you very much!
I am away from my workstation at the moment, but have several new snaps I will be trying this with

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines