11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2008 7:35 AM by Neil_Mix

App install failing after uninstall

Neil_Mix
      I uninstalled an app I've been working on, and now when I try re-installing it tells me the file is corrupt. But the file is definitely not corrupt. True for badge install or manual install. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling AIR several times, and deleting every AIR related directory I can find. Still dead in the water.

Mac OS X 10.5.2

Here's what the install log says:

UI SWF load is complete
      UI initialized
      Converting to /private/var/folders/Af/AfhEQDevFwaKcP77YUvST++++TI/TemporaryItems/FlashTmp1
      Conversion is complete
      AIR file is bound to version 1.0
      app id [omitted]
      application is bound to this version of the runtime
      Failed while converting AIR file: [ErrorEvent type="error" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #3003" errorID=3003]
      Starting cleanup
      Installation exited

Help? What is Error #3003?
        • 1. Re: App install failing after uninstall
          Neil_Mix Level 1
          Anyone? Over two weeks later and I'm still having this problem. The text string corresponding to error #3003 sure would be nice to know...
          • 2. Re: App install failing after uninstall
            Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee
            Error 3003 is "File or directory does not exist". Does this happen on other machines? Do other applications install on this machine?

Oliver Goldman | Adobe AIR Engineering

• 3. Re: App install failing after uninstall
              Neil_Mix Level 1
              Thanks for your response. To answer your questions, it doesn't happen on other machines, it doesn't happen to other apps on this machine, and the app used to work on this machine but now it doesn't. So it's specific to this app on this machine, and began happening without warning.

Any ideas?
              • 4. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                My best guess is that there are either files or registry settings specific to this application that haven't been properly cleaned up. What happens if you try installing to a different directory? What happens if you change the app id?

• 5. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                  Neil_Mix Level 1
                  The install fails before I'm able to choose a directory. (The error dialog is the first thing that happens.) Changing the appID does work, although that's not an appropriate long term solution since we've already begun distributing the app.
                  • 6. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                    That helps a lot. I'm pretty sure if you inspect the installation directory for the application you'll find that there are some files there, but not a complete install of the application. I suspect that you can fix this by cleaning up that broken install.

One way to do that is with an installer cleanup utility--Microsoft provides a free downloadable one. It will most likely list the application. Use the utility to remove it.

• 7. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                      Neil_Mix Level 1
                      FYI, this is on Mac and not PC. I've removed the app directory in /Applications, as well as the files in ~/Library/Preferences/. Are there any other places I need to clean up?
                      • 8. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                        Try emptying your Trash. Also, is it possible there's a copy of the app on a mounted drive? E.g., external hard drive, USB, or even Time Machine drive.

• 9. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                          Neil_Mix Level 1
                          Nope, emptying my trash doesn't help. Is there any way to figure out *which* file or directory isn't found?
                          • 10. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                            OK, there are two additional pieces of information that would be helpful. First is a directory listing of the installed copy of AIR:

ls -lR /Library/Frameworks/Adobe AIR.framework

Second is the dtruss output from attempting to install the application:

sudo dtruss "/Applications/Utilities/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer" /path/to/file.air

If you can send either or both we'll take a look.

thanks,

• 11. Re: App install failing after uninstall
                              Neil_Mix Level 1
                              Hi Oliver, thanks for the instructions. I've sent you the output of the commands via email. I'll make a wild guess here, I think the problem originates starting at line 15497 of dtruss.out:

mmap(0x0, 0x10000, 0x3, 0x1002, 0x3000000, 0xFFFFFFFF00000000) = 0x19FA5000 0
                              getattrlist("/.vol/234881026/31688dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1725 (ID 18033: syscall::getattrlist:return): out of scratch space in action #11 at DIF offset 28
                              dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1723 (ID 17865: syscall::mkdir:return): out of scratch space in action #11 at DIF offset 28
                              dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1725 (ID 18033: syscall::getattrlist:return): out of scratch space in action #11 at DIF offset 28
                              dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1725 (ID 18033: syscall::getattrlist:return): out of scratch space in action #11 at DIF offset 28
                              dtrace: error on enabled probe ID 1723 (ID 17865: syscall::mkdir:return): out of scratch space in action #11 at DIF offset 28
                              dtrace: 21926 drops on CPU 0

Please let me know what you find out. Thanks!