• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom constantly accessing disks

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed very recently that LR is constantly accessing all my disks, even ones I am not working on at all.

I've checked performance monitoring and can see it constantly accessing all disks.

I can watch it in resource manager accessing image files I haven't touched in ages so am at a loss as to what it is doing. The only thing I can think of is auto tidying previews, but as I say, many of the files I can see it is 'dipping in to' haven't been touched for months (or longer!), particularly on the external drive.

What is going on and is it to be expected as it is clearly an overhead on my system and disks?

NOTE - I have recently (a week ago and have had LR running every day since) installed new disks (an SSD and HDD) and reorganised my files across HDD disks although the external one remains as it was, just a different drive letter (drive C,D,J,L etc) - obviously I have had to redirct LR Library to the new drive letters .... could this be a cause and if so why and will it stop?

LR Classic  V.7.2 [ 1156743 ]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What system, program, are you using that is telling you LR is always accessing your hard drives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Using Windows resource monitor filtered for Lightroom. It shows each file accessed and time in each.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

calvind98526149  schrieb

NOTE - I have recently (a week ago and have had LR running every day since) installed new disks (an SSD and HDD) and reorganised my files across HDD disks although the external one remains as it was, just a different drive letter (drive C,D,J,L etc) - obviously I have had to redirct LR Library to the new drive letters .... could this be a cause and if so why and will it stop?

It's only a thought:

This reorganisation could be the reason, because Lightroom has to update all entries in the catalog. And the next is that LR has to recreate the previews. It should stops if the update and/or the recreating is finished.

How many photos you have in your catalog and what's the size of your catalog?

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Axel, Thanks for your thoughts. It is quite large - 61300+ images and catalogue is 607MB.

I think it is probably as you said, although there have been no changes to the actual images, just the locations so not sure why LR has to regenerate previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines