9 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2008 6:06 AM by Newsgroup_User

Brand new to AS

garywpaul Level 5
      I've been playing with this for a day or two since I upgraded to CS3, cant get it to do anything.

What I would like is to be able to make a picture within the flash movie (a symbol) a hyper link. I want to be able to click on the movie and have it take me to a url...

Is there a simple code for that?
        • 1. Re: Brand new to AS
          Level 7
          garywpaul,

> I've been playing with this for a day or two since I upgraded
          > to CS3, cant get it to do anything.

When you say "upgraded," I'm guessing you're already familiar with Flash
          8, then? If that's right, then my hunch is that you're using ActionScript
          3.0 in CS3, which is considerably different in many respects from the
          ActionScipt 2.0 (or possibly 1.0) you're used to.

The easiest thing -- until you get up to speed on AS3 -- is to set your
          Publish Settings for ActionScript 2.0. Everything will work as before, and
          you can publish to Flash Player 9 all the way back through Flash Player 6
          (as long as you stick with ActionScript supported by each version of Flash
          Player).

> What I would like is to be able to make a picture within the
          > flash movie (a symbol) a hyper link. I want to be able to click
          > on the movie and have it take me to a url...

That's easy enough in AS3.

> Is there a simple code for that?

>

• 2. Re: Brand new to AS
            Level 7
            garywpaul,

>> What I would like is to be able to make a picture within the
            >> flash movie (a symbol) a hyper link. I want to be able to click
            >> on the movie and have it take me to a url...
            >
            > That's easy enough in AS3.

Woops! Hit the "send" button by accident.

>> Is there a simple code for that?

Sure, but before we get to that, let me know what language you want it
            in. I was only assuming you needed AS3, because you mentioned upgrading to
            Flash CS3 -- but you've posted in the AS1/AS2 forum, so I'm not sure what
            you need.

David Stiller
            Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
            http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
            "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 3. Re: Brand new to AS
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
              click on the movieclip and in the properties panel give the movieclip and instance name, say mc1. then click on an empty part of the stage and in the actions panel paste:

• 4. Re: Brand new to AS
                garywpaul Level 5
                Thank you so much for your reply. I had already c/p that from an earlier post you had answered, and I was not able to make it work...like now.

So if you could be so kind as to tell me what I am missing.

I created a new document, imported an image to the library.Dragged the image to the stage, converted to symbol, movieclip.

C/P your code, naming the symbol mc1, getting two error messages.

1120: Access of undefined property mc1.
                1180: Call to a possibly undefined method getURL.

So what am I doing wrong..

Thanks again
                • 5. Re: Brand new to AS
                  garywpaul Level 5
                  David

I am trying AS2, I have read that 3 is much harder as was actually doing what you had suggested, to learn 2 then graduate to 3.

I have been using flash for seveal years, have bought several books on it, AS I just cant seem to get rolling. Thinking that if I can get one thing working in it, should be able to progress from there..

But to answer your question, 2 is fine, just want to be able to set up links and learn from there.

Thank you for being so kind.

Gary
                  • 6. Re: Brand new to AS
                    garywpaul Level 5
                    Success!!...Not sure exactly how, and Im still getting an erro message

"Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler" (which I dont yet understand)

But I have finally found some success in AS.

David, please dont let this inhibit your continuing with your answer.

kglad, that you for your imput, please feel free to impart more words of wisdom
                    • 7. Re: Brand new to AS
                      Level 7
                      garywpaul,

> Success!!...Not sure exactly how, and Im still getting an
                      > erro message
                      >
                      > "Statement must appear within on/onClipEvent handler"
                      > (which I dont yet understand)

Aha. Then you've attached your code directly to the object itself,
                      rather than to a frame. Here's a brief article on the topic.

http://www.quip.net/blog/2006/flash/museum-pieces-on-and-onclipevent

That should help -- but if you still have questions, be sure to post
                      back :)

David Stiller
                      Contributor, How to Cheat in Flash CS3
                      http://tinyurl.com/2cp6na

• 8. Re: Brand new to AS
                        garywpaul Level 5
                        Thank you much, I will read the link tonight.

Do you have a suggestion for where I could go to learn flash? I have two books (one is from adobe with the CS3), but it seems most of the things I have looked at are a tad advanced for my AS knolwedge.

Would like to get a basic understanding of how it works.

Thanks again to both for all your help.
                        • 9. Re: Brand new to AS
                          Level 7
                          garywpaul,

> Do you have a suggestion for where I could go to learn flash?
                          > I have two books (one is from adobe with the CS3), but it
                          > seems most of the things I have looked at are a tad advanced
                          > for my AS knolwedge.

When it comes to Flash, there are really two aspects to learning: a)
                          learning the Flash authoring tool itself, and b) learning ActionScript. I
                          have friends who never touch ActionScript, but make a good living creating
                          artwork and animation with the authoring tool. I also have friends who
                          never touch Flash, but make a good living programming with ActionScript
                          (they might use Flex, for example, or a 3rd party compiler -- but not Flash
                          itself).

My hunch is that you're interested in both, which is what I do. It
                          likely means I'm not as advanced a programmer as someone who uses Flex all
                          day, but then ... I can draw. ;)

> Would like to get a basic understanding of how it works.

Some people respond well to books, while others make more headway with
                          video tutorials. I wrote a well-reviewed book last year with my buddy Tom
                          Green (Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers [friends of ED]) -- it's really a
                          Flash-and-ActionScript book (as opposed to one or the other of those
                          topics). It's not *especially* heavy on the code, so I don't know if it
                          would feel advanced for you or not, but most of the chapters deal with
                          ActionScript (all AS3). Check out the Amazon reviews and see what people
                          have said about the code portions ... that may give you an idea on how
                          comfortable you'd be with it.

Another buddy of mine, Rich Shupe, recently had a beginner's book
                          published (Learning ActionScript 3.0: A Beginner's Guide [O'Reilly]). I
                          haven't read Rich's yet, but the reviews are great on his and Zevan Rosser's
                          too. Theirs is clearly more on the ActionScript-only side.

If video training works for you, you may want to check out Lynda.com's
                          Online Learning Library. There are three different payment levels (I
                          think), and the cheapest of those is a remarkable bargain.

David Stiller
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/