• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my uploading destination folder "not available"?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Upon inserting my memory card and clicking Import I immediately get the following message (before even selecting an Import preset) - which message leaves me no option but to Quit.

a) why is this happening and,

b) what to do?

Thanks a lot,

Raphael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 17, 2018 Feb 17, 2018

Set your Import Preset to None then manually select that folder from the Destination area.

I suspect something has happened to the import preset you saved and it isn't pointing to the correct folder.

Do an import, If the error comes up click OK, Set the Import Preset to "None", then manually select that same folder for the Destination section.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What IS the destination folder? Is it on an external hard drive that isn't connected? Is it on a hard drive that is write protected? A few details would really help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A subfolder in LR called "NYC Winter 2017-2018", to which I've imported often recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is that folder? Can you tell me what there is about that folder that could make it "not available"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That folder is in my LR Library on the same external drive it's been on for 5 years.

The entire library is available to work with - except to import

The alert tells me this destination folder - before I even specified which, is "unavailable" and wants to import my new images into Pictures.

Now, as to why - since you ask, that is the reason I stared this conversation: to ask YOU guys "why" and "how" to go back to normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, a piece of valuable information this time. It's on an external hard drive. Is the external hard drive connected? Is it working properly? Can you open that external hard drive with your system browser (File Explorer or Finder) and browse through it? Can you see the folder you're trying to access using your system browser?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, I said in my prior message "The entire library is available to work with - except to import ". Is that what you're asking?

And, fo the alert to appear I would have to click Import from the within the library itself first. And the library would not appear unless the drive was connected. Am I missing something? I am trying to figure out if I'm getting and answering your questions appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of the Full LR window with the LR module showing in the Grid View mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I attach the screen shot? I tried to drag one in earlier and it failed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raphaels28255986  wrote

How do I attach the screen shot? I tried to drag one in earlier and it failed.

Use the icon in the reply window.

Posting images to the Adobe forum.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There you go. Anything showing?

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.44.10 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot of the full Import Screen? We need to see the Destination folder...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you go:

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 9.53.41 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set your Import Preset to None then manually select that folder from the Destination area.

I suspect something has happened to the import preset you saved and it isn't pointing to the correct folder.

Do an import, If the error comes up click OK, Set the Import Preset to "None", then manually select that same folder for the Destination section.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you JSM.

If you see my earlier response (Feb 17, 2018 6:27 PM) to Jim Hess, that's what I did - simply because there was nowhere else to go, not because I divined the answer.

Your suggestion to set the preset to None first makes a lot of sense! Smart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can almost see your destinatio volume in the bottom right.... the screen shot is cutting it off. However it looks like there is plenty of room on the disk and as JSM suggests you can

1. manually select the correct folder again and import

2. select the preset that you've always used and import (check to see if it's been edited)

3. create another preset with that volume as the destination.

Keep in mind that if your files are imported into the wrong destination folder you can correct that and move them after the import is complete. You'd want to move them to the correct folder from the within Library module by selecting them and dragging them.

Another note - Lightroom import is sticky... it remembers all the settings from your last import. If you're using a preset and any condition changes you will see [preset name (edited)] under presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you cmgap. Please see my response to JSM above.

And you are absolutely right about the stickiness of the system. The only problem with moving the images from the wrong folder is that in this case the folder was Pictures. So I had to avoid that at all cost. Correct?

Creating another preset with the same volume (why do they call them volumes?) as the destination is also super smart. Thanks a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not that one has to avoid the Pictures folder at all cost... they can be moved readily and easily. It's looking at and being aware of any conditions that have changed that will cause a result that you don't want.

When you initiate your next import look from left to right, then center - top to bottom then to the right column...

Left Column = "Source"

Center Column ="top: Copy / Add... next Select or choose all look at the bottom to check the Preset"

Right Column = At the very top Destination and all other desired settings in the right column.

If the destination location (aka volume) is not what you are expecting that will be evident before you continue with the import process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you cmgap. Sound advice.

And thank you for being so supportive. I depend on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YW!

thanks JSM - DJP - JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

raphaels28255986  wrote

why do they call them volumes? Thanks a lot.

That is just what Apple calls a drive when displaying the Path.

In OS X, Unix, there really aren't Hard Drives. There are Mount Points for Volumes of storage space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fascinating tech speak.

Thank you JSM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Import Preset has not been changed or reserved and remains at None.  I have two laptops running Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC, and after updating to the latest version, both are showing this same error message "destination folder not available using pictures folder instead".  Despite the error message, the import happens and the photos go to the correct destination folder.  I think it is a glitch in your latest update.  Should I redownload the software?  IF yes, do I need to delete the old version of CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a screen shot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot below.  Problem seems to be that the error message shows a “/“ after the LaCie, but the file name is a “_”.

This has happened on both of my laptops after updating the software.  The import function works and the Destination folder is properly selected.  But the error message is a pain.  All the files were created from within LR.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines