0 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2008 2:55 PM by Tikis_Mikis

Truly 100% Dynamic Flex Plugin/Component for my site

Tikis_Mikis Level 1
      If anyone has been paying attention I have been trying to construct a custom DataGrid and for the most part I have succeeded in making my code truly reusable UNTIL the point that I needed to dynamically generate class instances. I find out that my dynamic classes cannot be instantiated UNLESS I create an instance of that class type somewhere in my code, ex:

private var forceCompilation:Array = new Array(OrderEdit);

So there is one line that is not dynamic whatsoever. But if I want to do the above I must do this:

// import place where OrderEdit is
      import templates.Orders.*;

Now that's TWO lines that throw my reusable code out the door. So my question is this: is it IMPOSSIBLE to create a plugin that has no single line hard coded and truly dynamic?

So in other words is there a way that through strings I pass to my application I can construct an import statement like:

//pseudocode:
      // importVar = "templates.Orders.*";
      import magically_translate_to_class_path(importVar);

And through strings I can construct an array with elements such as:

//pseudocode:
      // dynamicClassArray = Array(0=>"OrderEdit");
      private var forceCompilation:Array = new Array();
      for (i=0; i<dynamicClassArray.length; i++) {
      forceCompilation.push(magically_translate_to_class_reference(dynamicClassArray ));
      }

And then finally, I need to be able to pass variables to and from my dynamically generated class that I open up in a PopUP HOWEVER I tried translating this:

var pop1:ArrayEntryForm = ArrayEntryForm(PopUpManager.createPopUp(this, ArrayEntryForm, true));
      // Set TitleWindow properties.
      pop1.title = "Select File Type";
      pop1.showCloseButton = true;

// Set properties of the ArrayEntryForm custom component.
      pop1.targetComponent = ti1;
      pop1.myArray = doctypes;
      PopUpManager.centerPopUp(pop1);

This is the code I found to open up a class dynamically (which turns out is not exactly dynamic for the reasons stated above) - reed the comments in caps to see what I did/tried:

var myClassName:String = "templates." + event.templateName;
      try {
      var ClassReference:Class = getDefinitionByName(myClassName) as Class;
      //var sdf:OrderEdit2;
      // THIS WORKS
      var myInstanceObject:* = new ClassReference();

// THIS LINE I USED TO REPLICATE THE EXAMPLE TO BE ABLE TO PASS VARIABLES TO MY POP UP WITHOUT SUCCESS
      // HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ELSE TO TRY - error #1067 Implicit coercion value type Class to unrelated type
      // mx.core:IFlexDisplayObject
      //var myInstanceObject:* = ClassReference(PopUpManager.addPopUp(ClassReference, this, true));

} catch( e:Error ) {
      Alert.show("Could not instantiate the class " + myClassName + ". Please ensure that the class name is a valid name and that the Actionscript 3 class or MXML file exists within the project parameters.");
      return;
      }

Can anyone please provide some insight??? I'm at a total loss here and I refuse to believe that I just CANNOT create a truly dynamic application - that it MUST contain hardcoded sections....

Thank you!