7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2009 2:42 PM by Newsgroup_User

Library documents do not accept SWF objects

micdim1 Level 1
      I'm trying to insert a SWF file into a Dreamweaver CS4 library document, but I keep getting an error "You cannot insert a SWF file into a library document", and then I cannot insert the SWF object.

I've successfully inserted many SWF files into DW CS3 library documents with no problme but now DW CS4 does not allow me to do this, and I'm now getting an error/warning message on pages that have these library items inserted. (once again these library documents have SWF files in them)

Here's the warning message I get. (mind you that when pages are uploaded they works just fine)
      "This page contains some SWF objects that may not work properly in the most recent versions of Internet Explorer. Dreamweaver cannot convert them to the new SWF markups. Please delete each of them and insert again."

I'm frustrated that I cannot find anything on this forum related to this issue.

I would appreciate it if someone enlighten me on what's going on with this DW CS4 Library Item and SWF issue.

P.S.
      I seems that I can create Library Items/Documents by inserting a SWF file into an html page and then going to Modify/Library/Add object to library and replacing my older Library Items with the new Item. (The new item seems to have the necessary scripts attached which does not bring up the error/waring message.

Have I just configured this correctly?
        • 1. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
          Level 7
          > I'm trying to insert a SWF file into a Dreamweaver CS4 library document,
          > but I
          > keep getting an error "You cannot insert a SWF file into a library
          > document",
          > and then I cannot insert the SWF object.

That's correct. Once you create a Library item, you cannot do such edits.
          You can edit content, or images, but no behaviors and no active content. To
          do this, you'd have to RECREATE THE LIBRARY ITEM FROM SCRATCH.

> I've successfully inserted many SWF files into DW CS3 library documents
          > with
          > no problme

I beg to differ. You cannot do this.

> I seems that I can create Library Items/Documents by inserting a SWF file
          > into
          > an html page and then going to Modify/Library/Add object to library and
          > replacing my older Library Items with the new Item. (The new item seems to
          > have
          > the necessary scripts attached which does not bring up the error/waring
          > message.

This is the right way to do it.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"micdim1" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gk5jem$a2m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm trying to insert a SWF file into a Dreamweaver CS4 library document,
          > but I
          > keep getting an error "You cannot insert a SWF file into a library
          > document",
          > and then I cannot insert the SWF object.
          >
          > I've successfully inserted many SWF files into DW CS3 library documents
          > with
          > no problme but now DW CS4 does not allow me to do this, and I'm now
          > getting an
          > error/warning message on pages that have these library items inserted.
          > (once
          > again these library documents have SWF files in them)
          >
          > Here's the warning message I get. (mind you that when pages are uploaded
          > they
          > works just fine)
          > "This page contains some SWF objects that may not work properly in the
          > most
          > recent versions of Internet Explorer. Dreamweaver cannot convert them to
          > the
          > new SWF markups. Please delete each of them and insert again."
          >
          > I'm frustrated that I cannot find anything on this forum related to this
          > issue.
          >
          > I would appreciate it if someone enlighten me on what's going on with this
          > DW
          > CS4 Library Item and SWF issue.
          >
          > P.S.
          > I seems that I can create Library Items/Documents by inserting a SWF file
          > into
          > an html page and then going to Modify/Library/Add object to library and
          > replacing my older Library Items with the new Item. (The new item seems to
          > have
          > the necessary scripts attached which does not bring up the error/waring
          > message.
          >
          > Have I just configured this correctly?
          >

• 2. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
            micdim1 Level 1
            Thanks Murray,

When I created these Library objects in DW CS3. I swear I would change the Flash file inside the Library document, and then everything would update.

Are yo saying that now once a Library object is created is has to be created again in order to update what's inside the Library Document if this is a SWF file? If so, then how would I update a Library Item with a SWF inside it throughout a large website. Let's say 500 pages?

Sorry for being a little slow but I just migrated from GoLive to Dreamweaver 3 and then 4, and I find Dreamweaver does many things so differently than GoLive. Even Dreamweaver is by far superior to GoLive, GoLive was so much more intuitive.
            • 3. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
              Level 7
              > If so, then how would I update a Library Item with a SWF inside it
              > throughout a large website. Let's say 500 pages?

I would never use a Library item on such a large site to begin with. My
              reasons are several but this is certainly one of them. For something like
              this I would definitely use a server-side include. In fact, I never use
              Library items at all, even on small sites. They are simply too awkward for
              me.

> I find Dreamweaver does many things so differently than
              > GoLive. Even Dreamweaver is by far superior to GoLive, GoLive was so much
              > more
              > intuitive.

The more you know about HTML and CSS, the more intuitive you will find DW.
              Stick with it.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

news:gk5thp$neg$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks Murray,
              >
              > When I created these Library objects in DW CS3. I swear I would change the
              > Flash file inside the Library document, and then everything would update.
              >
              > Are yo saying that now once a Library object is created is has to be
              > created
              > again in order to update what's inside the Library Document if this is a
              > SWF
              > file? If so, then how would I update a Library Item with a SWF inside it
              > throughout a large website. Let's say 500 pages?
              >
              > Sorry for being a little slow but I just migrated from GoLive to
              > Dreamweaver 3
              > and then 4, and I find Dreamweaver does many things so differently than
              > GoLive. Even Dreamweaver is by far superior to GoLive, GoLive was so much
              > more
              > intuitive.
              >

• 4. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
                micdim1 Level 1
                Thanks Murray,

I appreciate your time Murray, and yes I am going to stick with Dreamweaver as I can see the huge potential it has, as apposed to GoLive.

I will be implementing all my sites from now on with SSI's, as I do agree with you regarding the simplicity of them. I just need to make sure what servers and configurations need to be implemented for SSI's to work.

Can you give me any advise/heads-up on things I need to watch out for SSI's?

Thanks again.
                • 5. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
                  Level 7
                  > Can you give me any advise/heads-up on things I need to watch out for
                  > SSI's?

When you use server-side includes, there are at least two files involved:

1. The parent file
                  2. The include file

The parent file (the one RECEIVING the included file's code) must be named
                  with a file extension that triggers a server parse to find the include
                  directives (e.g., *.shtm(l), *.asp, *.php, etc.). Of course, the extension
                  would have to match the server models supported by a) your site definition,
                  and b) the hosting server. The include file (the code fragment file) may be
                  named with any extension you desire (we joke here about naming them with the
                  'monkeybutt' extension, since that extension name is irrelevant to the
                  function of the file itself). HOWEVER, if the include file is named with an
                  extension that DW doesn't recognize, then you will not get a Design view
                  option when the file is opened.

For this reason, it's best to just name your include files with the *.htm(l)
                  extension. Alternatively, if you *really* like '*.monkeybutt', you can add
                  this extension to the list of file extensions that DW recognizes -

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_16410&sliceId=1

If you are linking from inside the include file to other files in the site,
                  you should always use root relative links, UNLESS your site is a completely
                  flat one, i.e., no folder structure.

Also, remember that the final assembled page (parent + includes) can contain
                  only a single set of properly closed <html>, <head>, and <body> tags. Along
                  the same vein, since your include files cannot contain these tags, you
                  cannot apply behaviors to the include files *after they have been made*
                  (since behaviors rely on writing javascript markup into the <head> region,
                  and even sometimes into the <body> tag).

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

news:gk624a$6u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Thanks Murray,
                  >
                  > I appreciate your time Murray, and yes I am going to stick with
                  > Dreamweaver as
                  > I can see the huge potential it has, as apposed to GoLive.
                  >
                  > I will be implementing all my sites from now on with SSI's, as I do agree
                  > with
                  > you regarding the simplicity of them. I just need to make sure what
                  > servers and
                  > configurations need to be implemented for SSI's to work.
                  >
                  > Can you give me any advise/heads-up on things I need to watch out for
                  > SSI's?
                  >
                  > Thanks again.
                  >

• 6. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
                    micdim1 Level 1
                    Thank you Murray,

Your description has been very in depth and helpful.

You answered my questions where I understand everything.

Once again I thank you for your time. You really cleared this up for me.
                    • 7. Re: Library documents do not accept SWF objects
                      Level 7
                      I'm glad I could help you. Good luck!

--
                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                      Adobe Community Expert
                      ==================
                      ==================

news:gk8j3m$fnm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Thank you Murray,
                      >
                      > Your description has been very in depth and helpful.
                      >
                      > You answered my questions where I understand everything.
                      >
                      > Once again I thank you for your time. You really cleared this up for me.
                      >