26 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 10:29 AM by maria__

Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge

Bugged Level 1

My wife and I have identical laptops with Microsoft and Edge.  She regular gets notices to update Flash.  I do not.

I went to Adobe.com

I scrolled to the bottom and clicked on Adobe Flash Player. 

I got a pop-up:  Adobe Flash Player was Blocked.

I clicked Allow Once.

The next window was the same as before (I think).  I had to scroll to the bottom and click on Adobe Flash Player.

I got the page I sent to you that pasted over my text.  It said:

Flash Player is integrated with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
      You do not need to install Flash Player.

When I clicked on Test Flash Player I got:

Flash Player is currently disabled.
      Please follow the troubleshooting steps below to play Flash content.

Then I did the following:

Use the following steps to allow Flash content in Microsoft Edge:

• On your computer, open Microsoft Edge.
      • On the top right-hand corner, click the  icon.
      • Click Settings near the bottom of the menu that appears
      • Click View advanced settings under the Advanced Settings header

What is going on?  (I am a computer dummy.)

Thank you.

[moderator: added operating system and browser to summary]

• 1. Re: Updating Flash
          mariak2674195 Level 1

I have the same problem here

Thank You

• 2. Re: Updating Flash
            maria__ Adobe Employee

I went to Adobe.com

I scrolled to the bottom and clicked on Adobe Flash Player.

I got a pop-up:  Adobe Flash Player was Blocked.

I clicked Allow Once.

This enabled Flash on www.adobe.com site.  It did not enable Flash on other adobe.com sub-domain sites (e.g. helpx.adobe.com)

The next window was the same as before (I think).  I had to scroll to the bottom and click on Adobe Flash Player.

I got the page I sent to you that pasted over my text.  It said:

Flash Player is integrated with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10.
            You do not need to install Flash Player.

When I clicked on Test Flash Player I got:

This page has a different Flash detection mechanism.  I see the puzzle-piece in the address field to enable Flash

Clicking the puzzle piece (highlighted in yellow) displays the 'Allow Flash' notification:

After clicking 'Allow once' or 'Always allow' the page refreshes, clicking 'Test Flash Player' displays the animation:

Unless you selected 'Always allow' you will need to enable Flash on each site you visit, including sub-domain sites (e.g. www.adobe.com is not the same as helpx.adobe.com - Flash needs to be enabled on both sites).

See the following for assistance:

Troubleshooting Flash Player on Microsoft Edge

https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2016/12/14/edge-flash-click-run/ - Microsoft post explaining the 'click-to-play' feature.

• 3. Re: Updating Flash
              maria__ Adobe Employee

Also, since Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE and Edge browsers, all Flash Player updates for IE and Edge are released by Microsoft via Windows Updates.  The Flash Player ActiveX installers will not run on Windows 10.

• 4. Re: Updating Flash
                Bugged Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to help.

I am a computer dummy.

If I understand your reply, I need to click ALWAYS ALLOW instead of ALLOW ONCE.  Correct?

That is confusing since the settings the Settings "Use Adobe Flash Player" is toggled to on.  An explanation would likely be over my head, but it might help others.

Another question regarding "Also, since Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE and Edge browsers, all Flash Player updates for IE and Edge are released by Microsoft via Windows Updates.  The Flash Player ActiveX installers will not run on Windows 10" is why does my wife get notices of updates?

Thank you..

• 5. Re: Updating Flash
                  maria__ Adobe Employee
                  If I understand your reply, I need to click ALWAYS ALLOW instead of ALLOW ONCE.  Correct?

If you want Flash to work on all sites without being prompted, select 'Always Allow'.

The Flash Player ActiveX installers will not run on Windows 10" is why does my wife get notices of updates?

Are you referring to the Flash Player Update Notification that displays when logging into the system?  If so, I'm assuming she has a different browser installed that utilizes this (e.g. Firefox, Opera/Chrome).  If you're referring to a different notice of update, I'm not sure what that would be.

• 6. Re: Updating Flash
                    Bugged Level 1

We have identical computers and both ue Edge.

Her update  is >get3.adobe.com/flashplayer/download.......<

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Updating Flash
                      maria__ Adobe Employee

Flash Player for Edge will not update from Adobe's site.  The link you posted is incomplete and doesn't provide a file name.

Please do the following:

• 8. Re: Updating Flash
                        Bugged Level 1

I do not see "All Control Panel items".control panel.jpg

• 9. Re: Updating Flash
                          maria__ Adobe Employee

You can navigate to all control panel items by entering Control Panel\All Control Panel Items in the navigation field or changing View by from Category to Small icons

control+panel.jpg

• 10. Re: Updating Flash
                            Bugged Level 1

That worked.  Thanks.  Here is the screen shot.Flash Settings Manaager.jpg

• 11. Re: Updating Flash
                              maria__ Adobe Employee

Thank you very much.

According to the screenshot, this computer has Flash Player NPAPI plugin (for Firefox) and Flash Player PPAPI plugin (for Chrome and Chromium-based browsers) installed.  The versions for both are very old (latest version is 28.0.0.161.  It is one of these versions that is triggering the update notification dialog window.

However, the system is configured for Background Updates, which means these versions should have already been updated silently in the background.  Since an update notification dialog window is displaying, it indicates the system failed to update silently in the background and is now notifying the user via the Notification Update dialog window.  I can investigate further, but would need the FlashInstall log files from the system to do so.

If the computer does have Firefox or a Chromium-based browser (e.g. Opera) installed, you really should update Flash Player NPAPI and/or PPAPI to the latest version.  If the computer no longer has these browser's installed, or they are not used, then I recommend uninstalling Flash Player NPAPI and PPAPI.  This can be done using the uninstaller posted at Uninstall Flash Player for Windows (just download, close all browsers, and run the uninstaller, don't follow the instructions to manually delete any files), or via the entries in Control Panel > Programs & Features.

If you'd like to provide the FlashInstall log files, they are saved at the following location:

• 32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall32.log
                              • 64-bit OS: C:\windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall64.log AND C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstal32.log
                                • both files are required from a 64-bit OS

Upload the files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud and post the link to the uploaded files in your reply.

• 12. Re: Updating Flash
                                mariak2674195 Level 1

My Flash Player are correct its working ty for the help

• 13. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                  maria__ Adobe Employee

You're welcome.

• 14. Re: Updating Flash
                                    Bugged Level 1

This is almost too complicated for me, but here are the two log files.

Shared Files - Acrobat.com

Thank you.

• 15. Re: Updating Flash
                                      maria__ Adobe Employee

Thanks for posting the files.  I'm still investigating why Background Updates is failing and have forwarded the logs to the installer engineer for assistance.

In the interim, the file does indicate that Flash Player NPAPI plugin (for Firefox) has been installed since at least Nov 1, 2013 and Flash Player PPAPI plugin (for Chromium-based browsers) was first installed June 18, 2015.  Both were regularly updated, via various installation methods, until early 2017.

If you do not use Firefox or a Chromium-based browser such as Opera, then there is no reason to have the NPAPI & PPAPI plugins installed, especially since the versions installed are very old and have known security vulnerabilities that have been fixed.  If you use Chrome, Google does embed Flash Player in Chrome and there is no need to install the PPAPI plugin separately.

To uninstall, either go to the Control Panel and use the Control Panel entries to uninstall, or download the installer from Uninstall Flash Player for Windows.  Just download the installer & execute it.  If you follow the instructions to delete the Flash Player folders, please do NOT delete the FlashInstall32.log and FlashInstall64.log files.  I need to have this tech note updated to not delete these files as they hold valuable troubleshooting information.

• 16. Re: Updating Flash
                                        Bugged Level 1

I appreciate your help.  Keep in mind that I am not computer literate.

I went to control panel and did not see NPAPI &or PPAPI.  I even did not see Flashplayer.

When I went to the "Uninstall Flash Player for Windows" the red font warning at the top scared me off.

Do you have a Dummy Proof solution?

Thank you.

• 17. Re: Updating Flash
                                          maria__ Adobe Employee

I went to control panel and did not see NPAPI &or PPAPI.

Are you referring to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features?

Based on this screenshot, older versions of Flash Player NPAPI & PPAPI are installed:

Flash+Settings+Manaager.jpg

When I went to the "Uninstall Flash Player for Windows" the red font warning at the top scared me off.

Do you have a Dummy Proof solution?

Just download the uninstaller and run it, no need to go through all the other steps.

• 18. Re: Updating Flash
                                            Bugged Level 1

OK.  I did that.  Now, how do I get Adobe Flash Player back?

Also, is this SPAM?  It has popped up on my computer telling me to update Adobe Flash..

THANK YOU!
                                            • 19. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                              maria__ Adobe Employee

OK.  I did that.  Now, how do I get Adobe Flash Player back?

Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome, no need to install it separately.  However, they do disable it by default, forcing users to enable it, usually on a per site basis.  See their help document Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help for assistance in enabling Flash

For Firefox, launch Firefox and go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer. Note that this page contains optional 3rd party offerings.  To decline them, uncheck the associated check-box.

Also, is this SPAM?  It has popped up on my computer telling me to update Adobe Flash..

https://ijai5markdalgleish.org/119307470986/3ffc7e006ce633fe32db74dbe32a21d6/baf0e3d12a2c4 297d96763348e0f521f.html

I didn't go to that page.  It most likely is malicious site trying to trick you into downloading a malicious installer.  The only official place to get a legit Flash Player installer is on adobe.com.

Here's a screenshot of the official Flash Player Update Notification dialog window:

notify_me_to_install_updates.PNG

Depending on the update option you have selected the 'remind me later' button may not display.

In your case, on Windows 10, if you opt into 'Notify me to install updates', when you install Flash Player NPAPI for Firefox, this would only display when you first log into your computer.  It won't display at any other time.  If you opt into Background Updates (update option = 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)), which updates non-embedded Flash Player silently in the Background within 24 hours of a release, this shouldn't display at all, unless there's a failure in Background Update workflow.

You can report the site (or a screenshot of the entire URL) to phishing@adobe.com  They do follow-up on these malicious Flash Player sites.

• 20. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                Bugged Level 1

I may have went to a fake site before.  How do I know if I got scammed and how do I know if I have the correct FLASH.

Thank you.

• 21. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                  maria__ Adobe Employee

If you downloaded the installer from any site other than adobe.com (e.g. get.adobe.com, get3.adobe.com, or one of the helpx.adobe.com pages), it's quite possible to be a malicious Flash Player installer.  Since we don't know what you installed, it's difficult at best to tell you how to tell if you installed a malicious Flash Player.  One place you can check is the Control Panel - are there other programs installed around the same time that you did not install?  Run a complete system scan (anti-virus, malware, adware, etc) on your system.

• 22. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                    Bugged Level 1

Thank you for all of your help!!

It looks like the solution is over my head.

For your files, I am going to attach a screen shot of the fake Flash page.

Flash scam that appeared.jpg

• 23. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                      Test Screen Name Most Valuable Participant

That looks like a fake. If you did download from it, see professional (or well trained family) help in doing a deep clean of your system. Until then DO NOT ENTER ANY PASSWORDS, CREDIT CARD NUMBERS OR PERSONAL INFO !!

• 24. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                        maria__ Adobe Employee

Hi,

That is definitely a fake.  The URL is not adobe.com and the file name is 'FlashPlayer.hta'.  An internet search for FlashPlayer.hta indicates it is indeed malicious.I'll forward the screenshot that includes the full URL (thank yo for including the URL, some folks don't), to our fraud team for follow-up.  In the future, feel free to forward directly to phishing at adobe dot com.

--

Maria

1 person found this helpful
                                                        • 25. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                          Bugged Level 1

Thank you for your excellent help and patience.

• 26. Re: Updating Flash - Windows 10 / Edge
                                                            maria__ Adobe Employee

You're welcome