3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 9:13 AM by Wim_Schalley

Automating After Effects?

omer ami

Hello,

I have an After Effect project, which has a picture object in it. I need a way, some program or script, preferably on an exe, that could input this project, a png file, and would replace the picture in the project with the picture I inserted. Then, it should export the project. My final goal is to have an exe, that with one click I would be able to edit and export a video.

Is there a way of doing something like that?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Automating After Effects?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You will have to spend time studying the scripting guide and the AE SDK.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Automating After Effects?
            Roland Kahlenberg Adobe Community Professional

I doubt you require an exe file to do this. It's a lot of work to create an exe file.

You can have AE load a specific project each time it opens. AE's Preferences Dialog has a section called New Project. In this section, you can open up a specific file/template. Then, you need to autoload a script by using the Run command in AE. I'm not certain how to get this done but the folks at aenhencers.com may be able to help you out.

• 3. Re: Automating After Effects?
              Wim_Schalley Level 2

Not sure what you try to achieve with this. Why would you want an executable with a button if you can use 'replace footage' in AE.

You only need automation if you need to watch a folder for a png to appear which automatically generates a video out of it; no buttons required. But if there needs to be someone to click a button, he can just as well click 'replace footage' and 'render'.

Wim