2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 12:54 PM by jamieb8291406

Best assisstive technology for Interactive PDF's

jamieb8291406 Level 1

Hi there, I am hoping someone can help.

We use Interactive PDF's a lot in our organisation. Interactive elements within the PDF's include hide/reveal form fields, change page view, hyperlinks.

We produce an accessible version in Word and/or static PDF to ensure that colleagues who use assisstive technologies (A.T) can access all the information.

Ideally, it would be great if the Interactive PDF's themselves were fully accessible.

Based on the testing carried out internally it would appear the capability of our A.T is not advanced enough.

Does anyone know the best available A.T in the market that allows Interactive PDF's to be fully accessible?

Thanks,

Jamie

• 1. Re: Best assisstive technology for Interactive PDF's
          raeben3 Level 3

Just curious, are you using Adobe Acrobat DC or LiveCycle or Javascript to create your forms?  I don't know that it is the AT that is not advanced, it's that Acrobat, Javascript or whatever you are using to create the interactive features is not making information  available to the Assistive Technology. If a window opens for example, the window and its elements have to be keyboard accessible and when the focus changes information about the element with focus has to be made available to Assistive Technology by the developer.

• 2. Re: Best assisstive technology for Interactive PDF's
            jamieb8291406 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. We are using Adobe Acrobat 11 Pro and there is a form field feature in the tools section. We mostly use text fields.

I'll find out how to make the interactive features accessible. I am sure Adobe will have info on it.