Exit

Reordering pages with tagged bookmarks

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat's help manual says this:

Add tagged bookmarks

Tagged bookmarks give you greater control over page content than do regular bookmarks. Because tagged bookmarks use the underlying structural information of the document elements (for example, heading levels, paragraphs, table titles), you can use them to edit the document, such as rearranging their corresponding pages in the PDF or deleting pages. If you move or delete a parent tagged bookmark, its children tagged bookmarks are moved or deleted along with it.

Does this mean if I reorder tagged bookmarks it will reorder pages in the .pdf? If not, what does it mean? How do I add tagged bookmarks if the document doesn't have any structure? What kind of structure do I need to add?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 20, 2018 Feb 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wording is confusing and it apparently has been around for a while. I saw another post asking about this dated 2008.   I think we should post this in another forum -- maybe Features request ?  It's not really a Feature Request, but I don't know if Adobe will see it here.  Ask Adobe to clarify, edit or delete this statement.  It seems like it was written by someone who had little understanding of how tagged pdfs work.

What they are talking about is creating bookmarks from tagged pdfs, which if properly created will define the structure of a document by its heading levels.  Moving and/or deleting bookmarks, whether they are manually created or automatically generated from tags,  has no effect on the order of pages within the document.   Bookmarks also do not affect the reading order of a document as another Adobe web page states.   And, whether bookmarks are manually created or automatically generated, their children always move with them. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Patrickivy,

Sorry for the delayed response and inconvenience caused. Reordering the tagged bookmarks will not reorder the PDF pages and this is feature is not yet available, however, you can file a feature request through the URL Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Feel free to update this discussion for any further assistance.

Regards,

Anand Sri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everytime I search for answers in the Adobe forums for Acrobat Pro, I end up with the "please request a feature form!", a 600$ software that has a terrible UI with unaccessible hidden features. This product need a major update or a redesign from scratch with UI and features, seriously. Happy at my work they've provided me with Bluebeam and I'll ask to cancel my Adobe subscription, wase of money

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never the less his suggestion is very valid, you really should consider implementing it. Sometimes I get the feeling that developers and customers don't speak the same language or that developers don't understand customer needs. Or maybe you don't have the ressources for all the little but very useful things.

Reordering pages by user interaction (not drag and drop which is completely un-useful unless you have small documents) and based on designer made tags would be extremely useful in many situations.

Right now I have a big concept development going on, and we are tethered to InDesign due to years of workflow, and if I had this functionality, it would litterally save my concept and make it possible.
But oh well....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines