5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 10:23 PM by Patrick2628

Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)

Patrick2628

Hello Friend,

I have a lot of CD (up to 2000), I want to put it into computer record (front, back, and CD disc face), My cheap scanner is not good for this job because not good with thick object scanning (for example CD jewel cases)

I was try the image from digital camera is the best and fit my requirement, the quality is good, but the output were not in perfect rectangle form and not in good alignment, because the position setup was not exactly the same each time.

I can use PS transform tools to stretch it carefully and slowly, but i think these manual steps is so annoying and too slow, sorry of my lazy...

all of the CD case size and width height scale is fixed, Any tips  i can work with PS ACTION ?

For example,  If i can just point out the four corners, is there some tricky way to make them stretch to prefect rectangle automatically and it shall record into ACTION?

Thank you for the reply

st1.jpg

• 1. Re: Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)
          norman.sanders Most Valuable Participant

You will find the Perspective Crop Tool is better fitted for this job and delivers the perfect rectangle and crop you want and speed your work. Just move the crop handles to the four corners of the image and Commit.

(The Perspective Crop is nested with the Crop Tool.)

Since you cannot place each object in the same exact position and the tool does not offer a Preset, an Action is not possible.

You may use an Action to resize the images after cropping.

2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Er...have you thought of taking out the inlay from the jewel case?

(Note that I generally advise photographing over scanning for high quality, but that usually requires some sort of repro stand).

• 3. Re: Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

Er...have you thought of taking out the inlay from the jewel case?

(Note that I generally advise photographing over scanning for high quality, but that usually requires some sort of repro stand).

It's one of those no brainers.  It is inevitable that the case will cause flare and distortion and generally mess up the scan, and it only takes a moment to slip out the insert.

I can see that this is a big project, but if it was just the one, it would be fun to make your own cover image.  Use search criteria like below to find a suitable background image, and overlay your own text, and graphics.  It's good practice with Photoshop, and more personal.  We had a recent discussion about grabbing Google images.  They have changed the way you need to go about getting a decent sized image, so you might find this thread useful.

Tchaikovsky New York philharmonic Avery Fisher Hall

• 4. Re: Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)
                Patrick2628 Level 1

Dear Dennis,

In my case, I do have the needs to take the photo with the jewel case as original style and actual condition, that will be same width and height ratio together with the jewel case "front side" , "back side" and "disc face" in 3:1 picture ratio.

I do the test for the fixed position in my epson flat scanner , it defaulty make perfect rectangle of course. and easier to crop and record in PS ACTION.
                But the quality is not good, image quality is not stable and blurs when scanning the front and back side of jewel case with content.

I think my Digital camera (with larger aperture setting) in hand make a good, natural, smooth and clear image quality  rather than scan quality, so i insist using DC.

That is the result format I satisfied with DC

Thanks

Patrick

27973419_186484385457929_8621219055101178654_n.jpg

• 5. Re: Need Action (How to transform taped photo to perfect rectangle?)
                  Patrick2628 Level 1

Dear Norman,

Thank for your proposal, I study the "Perspective Crop" in youtube, I found that is exactly what I looking for.

I will make a try tonight,

Partick