1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 4:17 PM by twaritar3263062

Is it wrong to remove the watermark of an image even if I want to use it in a non-commercial way?

Caleb Editor

Sometimes I like to make photo manipulations on Photoshop using the pictures that I find in Adobe Stock, when doing that I usually remove the watermark of the pictures using the tools inside Photoshop, but is it okay to do that? Most of the time I save the finished image on my computer but when I really like the result of it I post it on my Instragram and on my Twitter, I want to know if doing that is illegal or something. I've heard somewhere that removing the watermark of stock photos and selling them it's illegal and it can result in a $25,000 fine, but I'm not selling the pictures that I make, I am just sharing them with my friends on social media, it's okay to do that, right?

PS: If you're asking why can't I just license the pictures, it's because Adobe haven't made it possible to do that on my country yet.

• 1. Re: Is it wrong to remove the watermark of an image even if I want to use it in a non-commercial way?
          twaritar3263062 Adobe Employee

Hi Caleb,

Ideally, you should not remove the watermark of an Adobe Stock image even though you are using the low-resolution file. Adobe Stock only grants a right to use images and does not transfer the ownership.

However, if you still wish to use the low-resolution file, you should give a credit line to the photographer when you put them on social media, however, if you use modified images the credit line will become optional.

Note: It entirely depends on the modification you make. If the modifications are minor, credits are necessary.

Also, you may want to check with the resellers whether there is a purchase option for Adobe Stock in your region.

Please see the link provided:find partners

Feel free to update this thread in case of any additional questions.

Regards

Twarita