8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2018 3:23 PM by Ken Tryon

Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic

Stovelin Level 1

Hello!

I have some issues related to meta-tagging a rather large collection of images. Specifically I need to know how to manage images in Lightroom CC vs Lightroom Classic.

I need to metatag about 10K images with many different tags - e.g. animals, history, buildings. When I save the meta-tags for an image I want the tags to follow the image from Classic to CC and vice versa.

With Classic the tags AKA keywords can be saved to the image file. When I upload the images with keywords to CC it is not obvious what happens... I need a safe workflow to secure my keywords and I am not sure if the best way will be to do all the keywording in Classic or in CC. Obviously I want to be able to move images from CC to Classic and vice versa and still be able to search the images for given keywords.

I would prefer not to have to choose between them - I need the best form both of them...

• 1. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Adobe has chosen not to integrate keywording in LRCC with Classic's keywording. Keywords added in LRCC (mac/pc, iOS, Android) will not sync with Classic, and keywords assigned in Classic won't generally appear in LRCC. So it's really over to you - you're going to have to make a choice.

• 2. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
            florentp57706261 Level 1

That's annoying.

Choice is made for me i'll stay with classic.

I don't understand why they remove the keywords feature ; it's essential for a catalog.

• 3. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
              Ole Plannthin Level 1

John Beardsworth wrote: Adobe has chosen not to integrate keywording in LRCC with Classic's keywording.

It's a bad choice

I wish that keywords are transferred from LR Classic to LRCC when using collections.

• 4. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
                Ken Tryon Level 1

The extremely bizarre part of this is that I have old keywords from Aperture which don't show up in Lightroom Classic, but do show up in Lightroom CC. Can anyone explain that?

• 5. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic

If depends on the exact route they took from Aperture to Classic, and you don't say that. Ap > LRCC > Classic? Ap > Classic via Regular Import > LRCC? Ap > Classic Plugin > LRCC?

The key is if the keywords were saved to the original file when it first reached Adobe's server. If so and you import the files into LRCC, the keywords are in the original which is uploaded to the server, then downloaded into Classic - minus keywords.

• 6. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
                    Ken Tryon Level 1

The path was Aperture > Lightroom (pre-CC split) via Aperture library import > Lightroom CC (via Lightroom Classic cloud sync). I’m not sure if the keywords were applied in (long gone) Aperture or as part of the Lightroom import. I just know they weren’t applied in Lightroom CC—one example is [From Aperture].

• 7. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic

The import plugin should bring in anything applied in Aperture, so the keywords should now be in Lightroom Classic CC, as Adobe call it. If by Lightroom CC you mean what Adobe call Lightroom CC (ie the new confusingly-named PC/Mac app), then it would be normal that the keywords wouldn't be visible - as I said before, Adobe have chosen to fail to sync keywords from Classic.

You've got to be careful naming the various Lightrooms - not your fault! I am a bit confused.

• 8. Re: Keywords in Lightroom CC vs Classic
                        Ken Tryon Level 1

I'll try again with your nomenclature:

• Photo (Canon raw) imported into Aperture from camera

• Photo imported into Lightroom Classic CC via Aperture library import feature

FWIW, This happened just as Apple discontinued Aperture support, and before Adobe split Lightroom CC and Lightroom Classic CC

• Photo synced to Lightroom CC via synced collection in Lightroom Classic CC, original only on my Mac.

Make more sense?

I've found on my older photos, keywords applied in Aperture are visible in both Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC. There are also some keywords which appear to have been applied in the library import plugin (for instance, Features From Aperture)—these (really strangely) don't show up in Lightroom Classic CC, but do show up in Lightroom CC.

Keywords applied in Lightroom Classic CC are only visible there, even when there are keywords from Aperture on the same photo—as you say, keywords must be stored in different places. Lightroom CC is consistent on both mobile (iPad) and Mac platforms.

I also discovered most other metadata doesn't sync either. Labels (color or otherwise), locations, etc. don't sync. It appears only camera generated info, title, caption, star ratings, and pick flags sync across platforms.

There clearly are some complicated data structure issues going on here. I can see why Adobe would want to simplify and clean up metadata management in Lightroom CC, but it's a deal breaker for me that there is no sync at all. I wonder if their Lightroom Classic CC > Lightroom CC migration function does any better?