• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page content doesn't display when opening existing page from a remote server.

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to update a page (.PHP) from an existing, older website.  Upon opening, no content or code is displayed...the application suggests that the page includes "dynamically linked content" and asks if I would like it to open, I click "yes" and a progress bar at the top just endlessly appears to spin.   NOTHING HAPPENS and it appears to freeze the file, so I have to force-cancel the application.   This is by no means a complicated page I'm trying to edit...it has some CSS, a nav menu and an accordion containing the data I need to edit.    Using a MAC.   Please help?!!??!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you've downloaded all the linked pages/data too? (silly question probably sorry)

Also, are you trying to view in code or design view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No content is displayed in any of the modes.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that we do not have a guessing game, could you give us the link to the site?

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Http://westernemulsions.com

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason that I asked for the link is so that I could see if a framework like WordPress or similar was used. It is not.

So now we have a look at your local system.

PHP needs a server to translate the code to HTML. For this you need to install the server on your local system. To do this have a look at Setting up a local testing server in Dreamweaver CS5 | Adobe Developer Connection. Although the article refers to Dreamweaver CS5, the instructions are relevant for all versions of Dreamweaver.

Wappler, the only real Dreamweaver alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac, you need to install Xampp or Mamp server to parse PHP code locally.  Choose the PHP version that most closely matches your site's code (PHP 5x).

Define your local testing server in DW.  In the example below, I'm using Wamp server on Windows and my default web folder is www.  In your case however, the server will be either Xampp or Mamp and the default web folder will be htdocs.  See screenshots.

CC-testingServer1.jpg

CC-testingServer2.jpg

CC-testingServer3.jpg

CC-testingServer4.jpg

CC-testingServer-final.jpg

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set everything up as directed and it is still returning an “unknown error” message when I try to load the dynamic content. Progress in the sense that the code is now displayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is your site's content stored in a database? 

If yes, you'll need to export the SQL tables and data from your remote server and import into  your local server.

For exporting and importing SQL,  I use phpMyAdmin. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines