• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

It Exists!

Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2018 Feb 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum regulars will be pleased to hear that they will no longer have to suffer my endless bleating about the computer I ordered four months ago.  I picked it up a bit over 24 hours ago sans operating system, and while I have a ton of work to do on it, it is running.  I have not been able to get Turbo Boost 3 running so far, so the processor runs at a constant 3.3 GHz.  I have run the big brush test anyway, because I couldn't help myself.

30,000 x 30,000 pixel 8 bit document

Fully hard brush with spacing set to 1%

Touch down in one corner, and Shift touch in the opposite corner (I always work with cursor cross hair turned on, which helps with accuracy).

Time running stock is 13.2 seconds.

A couple of interesting points.

1. Photoshop did not create a Temp file in the Scratch drive.  The new box has 64Gb RAM, and a pair of Samsung 960PRO 512Gb NVMe M.2 drives, but the drives were not needed.
  2. It used a lot of threads.  This really surprised me.  I did not have enough screen space to view all the threads, but I ran it again with the Resource Monitor scrolled up, and the hidden threads were all being used.
  3. The overview (summary) is also interesting. We were not expecting any disk activity, but did expect a decent blip on the memory window.

I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow, but there are cables running everywhere at the moment.  The good news is the the size of the case is exactly as stated in the specs, because I left 10 mm clearance when modifying my computer desk/workstation and it fits perfectly.  I even had to modify my wife's computer desk to fit the Storm Trooper case of my old system that I am passing on to her.  She has zero interest in computers, which is just a bit strange as she is the worst person in the word when it comes to having multiple apps, and a zillion browser tabs open, and then complains that her computer is slow.  My old system is going to feel like a rocket ship compared to her Q9550 system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing that has surprised me.  The CPU is not getting warm, but the motherboard (VRM) and GPU are.  Mike 1 Irish has a custom loop on his Threadripper system, which I think includes at least the GPU, and a lot more radiator area then mine, and I believe his system runs a lot warmer than this — He does OC though.

I have all my SSDs fitted now, but only two of the internal HDDs, and none of the eight USB3 externals. 

One other point is that it is a not as quiet as I'd hoped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news Trevor.

We'll be expecting great things from you on this weekend's SFTW (which I'll post later when I get back to my office)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful news Trevor. Well all the hassle is now over and you have your new baby. When you have the system completed please post some photos so we all can drool over the new monter PC.

The best of look with it and keep os informes of your feelings on the setup you have.

Regards.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2018 Feb 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do Mike.  It's too big and heavy to move unless I really need to, but I have all the cable to sort out, and especially the forest of fan controlling cables which I have not worked out yet.  As to performance, so far it is something of a mixed bag.  It posts to the PW screen about the same as the old box, which is about 15 seconds.  Photoshop does not load any faster, which is surprising as the 960PRO drives are crazy fast..

I have two of these, both 512Gb 960PRO as they don't do a 256Gb PRO version.  That leaves a third M.2 socket which I might look at when get a better feel of the system

I still haven't got Turbo Boost 3 working, but I have set all cores/threads to OC automatically in the BIOS and it gets to 4.4GHz with all cores/threads, so that is better than Turbo Boost anyway.  I tried the 30K pixel test again, and it now does corner to corner in 11 seconds. 

Things that are very different are OS housekeeping operations.  I am moving some data about to complete my temporary back up until I get Shadow Protect running, and moving 750Gb between two average HDDs it did the working out bit in about four seconds.  That is much faster than the old system.  I mentioned that I have not managed to get Photoshop to produce a Temp file in the Scratch drive yet, but I am most looking forward to revisiting a couple of old projects with a lots of Smart Objects that slowed the old box down to a crawl. 

I am pleased with the CPU temperature, and that is after getting worried when using CPU-Z to stress the system, which took the CPU instantly to 85°C with zero ramp time.  When stressing the system with that 30K pixel image and 5k pixel 1% brush, and drawing all over the screen so I had to wait for it to catch up, the CPU maxed out on all but two of the 20 threads, and the temperature slowly ramped up to 55°C from the 25-30° it sits at at idle.  Having said that, the rest of the system gets fairly hot, especially the GPU but still only 45°C so nothing to worry about I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor. Well it's clear you are a happy man now, and so you should be. My temps don't rise over 70c under full load CPU-z test.

I must try your pixel test BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER HOW TO DO IT? When you get a chance could you send me the steps needed to do the test. It would be very interesting to compare the results from these two systems. I think that your system will trounce mine?

Cheers.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2018 Feb 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

30,000 x 30,000 image.

5000 pixel fully hard brush with 1% spacing.

Touch down in one corner.

Shift touch down in opposite corner

You need the Status bar set to Timing, or have it enabled in the Info Panel options

It helps to have 'Show Cross Hair' in Preference > Cursors so you can accurately touch in the corners.

I get 13.2 seconds with default settings, and 11 seconds with CPU timing set to auto in the BIOS  (it hits 4.4GHz)

This completes too quickly for anything to get hot, but if I stress the system by drawing all over the screen with this same document and brush, so that it takes a while to complete, the CPU gets to 55°C and the radiator fans slowly ramp up to half speed.

I'd be interested in how many threads your 1950X uses for this test?  With it turning out to be much more heavily threaded than some of us were thinking, then surely your 32 threads are going to win the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a decent sized 3D render yet Trevor? That should stress all the cores and let you see if your cooling is good enough

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trever. I think I just have sussed this test up? The test time I got was 0.4 Seconds? Surely this cant be right!!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor. Well I finely carried out the test properly. It pays to read the instructions on the tin!! The TR doesn’t breaker a sweet as the cores seen to just sit there? Now I did turn off the option of using the GPU in PScc . If I did carry out the test as I should the time it taken was 11.6 seconds. I hope I haven’t made another cockup!

Cheers.

Mike

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Trevor. Sorry my Internet is dropping in and out all day. We are in the grips of a major storm. We had lots of snow last night and we were given an orange warning for today with a red warning for tomorrow. Disregard my earlier posts as they did not include the screen grabs from my testing. Well I am getting 11.6/11.7 seconds on your test. I will rerun it again as I had my CPU set to 38.25GHz by mistake after I updated the AMS software the other day. Any how I have included the screen grab here now.

I'm puzzled because the test doesn't give my AMD- CPU time to really ramp up?

Mike

Test 2.jpg

Test 3. The propper test.jpgTest 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy for you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Trevor have you got those cables sorted yet? I carried out your test again with the CPU clocked at 39.25GHz and I'm now getting a time of 9.6 seconds. It looks like you were right when you the TR would win because of the extra cores. I also tried scribbling all over to see what core activity this would yield. It would seem that all do the cores are utilized more I am not seeing the core increase that you are seeing? I suppose with less cores they must work harder!! 

Mike

Final test CPU at 39.25GHz+ Turbo bust.jpg

imageFile.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback Mike.  So with a slightly lower clock speed, but with more cores/threads (is it 18/36 to my 10/20 ?) your brush test was about 18% faster, which is what we'd expect.

Something I was not expecting though, was that I was able to bring my new system to its knees yesterday.  We are in the process of doing a big refurbishment to our house.  This is the front entrance door, and we wanted top see how various options looked so I illustrated a few short listed door options ending up with 124 layers in ten groups with about ten Smart Objects.  It's 4000 pixels wide.  Chris, (my wife) wanted me to swap quickly through the options, and to my surprise and dismay, I was seeing a three second lag!  What the heck?  I have not investigated yet, and will tell you what is going on when I get a chance to try again with the Resource Monitor running, but this is the sort of lag that was causing problems with my old six core 3.3Ghz system

To maybe put this into some perspective, I do get a bit obsessive about stuff like this.  For instance I spent some time making the keyhole which is crazy because it is about three pixels wide in the main illustration, but I know I am not alone in going OTT with stuff like this

You can barely see it at actual pixel size.  The chrome is Eye Candy 7 of course. I _love_ Eye Candy 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well Trevor. What is it about us and home refurbishments. We still haven't finished our home yet!! It's like the Forsyte saga here with us now..  Eye Candy 7 Who doesn't like it

If you take a look over on the TreadRipper 1950X Tread you will find some very interesting stuff there regarding Hi core count GPU results. I am reassembly happy with my system the much more affordable i7-8700K is much better suited to my and possibly your needs for a fraction of the cost. But we are where we are now. So I suppose we can only make the best of it now.

I am still very interested in hearing how you feel about your new system. When you have it finely set up properly please come back with your overall impression of your system.

Regards.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines